[FOSDEM] GSM BTS at Fosdem 2011?

Tue Nov 16 11:14:54 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 22:59, Sylvain Munaut <246tnt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had the BTS with me last year and I did some tests, and it showed
> that two BTS wouldn't quite do the trick.

Partial coverage is better than no coverage. This is mainly about the
coolness factor, giving you a place to play with real users, etc. At
least, that is my interpretation.

> For example, for the 27C3 event, that has a much more compact area to
> cover (everything is in the same building and not spread around), we
> use six nano BTS (on 3 different site, each site have 2 BTS configured
> as multi-TRX).

True, but the reception area along with the main stands should be
doable if you position yourself at the stairs in the middle, no? That
would leave one transmitter for Janson or one of the feeding areas.

This might be obvious, but did you poke openbsc at lists.gnumonks.org ?

> But we'd
> have to be sure to get the HW and FOSDEM org support because the
> license isn't free (couple hundred euros or so).

I just talked to Jochen Maes about it. As long as Fosdem staff does
not have to do any work, they are fine with it. Obviously, you can get
a switchport and an IP or two if you need them, but other than that,
you would need to arrange for all equipment and work yourself.

Personally, I have no problem donating something so you don't have to
pay for the full licence out of your own pocket. I don't know if I
will arrive early enough to join the beer event, let alone do any
preparation work on friday.

Richard