Greetings all, Does anyone on this list have recommendations for purchasing SIM cards at the airport and any recommended providers or plans/promotions? I don't particularly need lots of local calling, but lots of data (especially 4G/LTE) would be nice. Thanks in advance, Michael
(a) I'd avoid buying any cards at the airport as you'll likely be extorted. (b) in town perhaps the cheapest pre-paid data is Jim Mobile which is a Base brand. You will have to buy a sim card (5 euro) and then pre-pay your GBs. (c) you can also look at LycaMobile (any nightshop) which has iirc unlimited data as long as you have call credits though slower. (d) Belgium's mobile market has been in a cartel forever. Sorry. :( On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 4:25 PM, Michael Downey <michael@openmrs.org> wrote:
Greetings all,
Does anyone on this list have recommendations for purchasing SIM cards at the airport and any recommended providers or plans/promotions?
I don't particularly need lots of local calling, but lots of data (especially 4G/LTE) would be nice.
Thanks in advance, Michael _______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 4:30 PM, Pieter Hintjens <ph@imatix.com> wrote:
(d) Belgium's mobile market has been in a cartel forever. Sorry. :(
I have payed 40-70 usd for a GB of data in the US (at t-mobile store), and 10-15 eur mostly at airports across Europe, so it is not that bad... ;) Željko
If you consider that I pay 15£/month for unlimited data (4G) + unlimited SMS + 200 mins. in UK, yes, it's bad :) p.s: I avoid doing free advertising to my provider, if you want I can tell you in private email. On 25 January 2016 at 15:33, Željko Filipin <zeljko.filipin@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 4:30 PM, Pieter Hintjens <ph@imatix.com> wrote:
(d) Belgium's mobile market has been in a cartel forever. Sorry. :(
I have payed 40-70 usd for a GB of data in the US (at t-mobile store), and 10-15 eur mostly at airports across Europe, so it is not that bad... ;)
Željko
_______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
-- Andrea Grandi - Software Engineer Website: https://www.andreagrandi.it Twitter: https://twitter.com/andreagrandi GitHub: https://github.com/andreagrandi PGP: 7238 74F6 886D 5994 323F 1781 8CFB 47AD C384 F0CC
Hi Michael, I have never been to Belgium but I am attending the upcoming FOSDEM, so I did some research and I found a Wikia on prepaid SIM cards <http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Belgium>. Hope this is useful! By the way I am also choosing a bundle from this Wikia page :) Actually our biggest problem is to find a SIM card store inside the airport because we need to use data connection for finding the way to the hotel. Since we are not staying in Belgium for long so, it's not too important to compare all those dollars-per-GiB. Regards, Kai-Chung Yan 2016-01-25 23:39 GMT+08:00 a.grandi@gmail.com <a.grandi@gmail.com>:
If you consider that I pay 15£/month for unlimited data (4G) + unlimited SMS + 200 mins. in UK, yes, it's bad :)
p.s: I avoid doing free advertising to my provider, if you want I can tell you in private email.
On 25 January 2016 at 15:33, Željko Filipin <zeljko.filipin@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 4:30 PM, Pieter Hintjens <ph@imatix.com> wrote:
(d) Belgium's mobile market has been in a cartel forever. Sorry. :(
I have payed 40-70 usd for a GB of data in the US (at t-mobile store), and 10-15 eur mostly at airports across Europe, so it is not that bad... ;)
Željko
_______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
-- Andrea Grandi - Software Engineer Website: https://www.andreagrandi.it Twitter: https://twitter.com/andreagrandi GitHub: https://github.com/andreagrandi PGP: 7238 74F6 886D 5994 323F 1781 8CFB 47AD C384 F0CC _______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
-- /* * 殷啟聰 | Kai-Chung Yan * 一生只向真理與妻子低頭 * Full-time student of National Taichung University of Education * LinkedIn: <https://linkedin.com/in/seamlik> * Blog: <seamlik.logdown.com> */
As far as I remember, there is a shop at the airport selling Base sim cards, I think it is 15 eur for sim card and 1 GB of data. Željko On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 4:25 PM, Michael Downey <michael@openmrs.org> wrote:
Greetings all,
Does anyone on this list have recommendations for purchasing SIM cards at the airport and any recommended providers or plans/promotions?
I don't particularly need lots of local calling, but lots of data (especially 4G/LTE) would be nice.
Thanks in advance, Michael _______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
Hi, Michael take a look on MTX Connnect. It can save your money in roaming. http://www.mtxc.eu/ Sergey On 10:25 Mon 25 Jan , Michael Downey wrote:
Greetings all,
Does anyone on this list have recommendations for purchasing SIM cards at the airport and any recommended providers or plans/promotions?
I don't particularly need lots of local calling, but lots of data (especially 4G/LTE) would be nice.
Thanks in advance, Michael _______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
Hi all, How's the coverage of public free Wi-Fi in Brussels? If there are lots of them everywhere we may not need to buy a card for just 3 days. Regards, Kai-Chung Yan 2016-01-26 4:33 GMT+08:00 Sergey Bronnikov <sergeyb@openvz.org>:
Hi, Michael
take a look on MTX Connnect. It can save your money in roaming. http://www.mtxc.eu/
Sergey
On 10:25 Mon 25 Jan , Michael Downey wrote:
Greetings all,
Does anyone on this list have recommendations for purchasing SIM cards at the airport and any recommended providers or plans/promotions?
I don't particularly need lots of local calling, but lots of data (especially 4G/LTE) would be nice.
Thanks in advance, Michael _______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
-- /* * 殷啟聰 | Kai-Chung Yan * 一生只向真理與妻子低頭 * Full-time student of National Taichung University of Education * LinkedIn: <https://linkedin.com/in/seamlik> * Blog: <seamlik.logdown.com> */
You can get free WiFi in any McDonalds, and in most cafes. That's about it. On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 10:13 AM, 殷啟聰 <seamlikok@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,
How's the coverage of public free Wi-Fi in Brussels? If there are lots of them everywhere we may not need to buy a card for just 3 days.
Regards, Kai-Chung Yan
2016-01-26 4:33 GMT+08:00 Sergey Bronnikov <sergeyb@openvz.org>:
Hi, Michael
take a look on MTX Connnect. It can save your money in roaming. http://www.mtxc.eu/
Sergey
On 10:25 Mon 25 Jan , Michael Downey wrote:
Greetings all,
Does anyone on this list have recommendations for purchasing SIM cards at the airport and any recommended providers or plans/promotions?
I don't particularly need lots of local calling, but lots of data (especially 4G/LTE) would be nice.
Thanks in advance, Michael _______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
-- /* * 殷啟聰 | Kai-Chung Yan * 一生只向真理與妻子低頭 * Full-time student of National Taichung University of Education * LinkedIn: <https://linkedin.com/in/seamlik> * Blog: <seamlik.logdown.com> */ _______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 10:38:54AM +0100, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
You can get free WiFi in any McDonalds, and in most cafes. That's about it.
On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 10:13 AM, 殷啟聰 <seamlikok@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,
How's the coverage of public free Wi-Fi in Brussels? If there are lots of them everywhere we may not need to buy a card for just 3 days.
Regards, Kai-Chung Yan
Unless you have a FON account [1], with that you can have free wifi almost everywhere in Belgium. Ward [1] https://fon.com/
Asked about data SIM cards for Belgium from a friend and he says:
Mobile Vikings is great but it's easier to get a 5€ SIM in a phone shop. MV requires more registration.etc
Cheers, Mikael
On 27 Jan 2016, at 11:13, 殷啟聰 <seamlikok@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,
How's the coverage of public free Wi-Fi in Brussels? If there are lots of them everywhere we may not need to buy a card for just 3 days.
Regards, Kai-Chung Yan
2016-01-26 4:33 GMT+08:00 Sergey Bronnikov <sergeyb@openvz.org>:
Hi, Michael
take a look on MTX Connnect. It can save your money in roaming. http://www.mtxc.eu/
Sergey
On 10:25 Mon 25 Jan , Michael Downey wrote:
Greetings all,
Does anyone on this list have recommendations for purchasing SIM cards at the airport and any recommended providers or plans/promotions?
I don't particularly need lots of local calling, but lots of data (especially 4G/LTE) would be nice.
Thanks in advance, Michael _______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
-- /* * 殷啟聰 | Kai-Chung Yan * 一生只向真理與妻子低頭 * Full-time student of National Taichung University of Education * LinkedIn: <https://linkedin.com/in/seamlik> * Blog: <seamlik.logdown.com> */ _______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
participants (8)
-
a.grandi@gmail.com -
Michael Downey -
Mikael Korpela -
Pieter Hintjens -
Sergey Bronnikov -
Ward De Ridder -
Željko Filipin -
殷啟聰