Experimental tools to make the key signing party easier
Greetings! I apologize if this is not the right list, but I didn't find a more specific one. I'm developing a set of tools to make large key signing parties like the one here much easier, and I think I got far enough to make it usable at this one. WARNING: This is under development, not done yet, and lacks features. I highly recommend that anybody wishing to test it first print the official list. Here's the link: https://github.com/vatral/KeySigningPartyTools So what does this do? It's a set of tools to make pretty lists of keys to print for the meeting, to make lists of keys to sign, and to import signed keys from email. With this, even the results of a meeting as large as FOSDEM's can be handled in just a few minutes. The ksp-makelist program reads the ksp-fosdem2014.txt file, and produces a PDF with the same information. Except it's better formatted, ensures a key is always fully on one page or on the next, prints the photo on the key if there's one, and adds a QR code of the fingerprint. The ksp-scanlist program then scans QR codes and makes a text file with the keys to sign. This makes the process after the meeting very easy. Take a black marker, scribble over the QR codes for the keys NOT to sign, and then hold the sheets in front of a webcam. Much faster and less error prone than doing it by hand, and it'll even use eSpeak to report progress, so that looking at the screen isn't needed. The ksp-import-keys program comes handy once people start sending you signed keys. It will read the mailbox and import keys from there automatically. I'll probably develop a dedicated key signing program, but for now caff should do nicely. Example commands for how to use this can be found in the README on the github page. Besides being much faster, I think this approach is more secure too. The fingerprints are taken from the ksp-fosdem2014.txt file, and scanned by ksp-scanlist, ensuring that the final list of keys to sign includes precisely the fingerprints that were verified at the meeting. This means that it's easy to check the fingerprints in the code, and it's not necessary to verify by hand that the fingerprint in the paper list matches the key in the keyring. I'll be at the key signing party with a copy of the list my code produces, and a laptop set up for a demonstration, in case anybody is interested. Comments, suggestions and patches are very welcome!
On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 1:57 AM, <vatral@vadim.ws> wrote:
Greetings!
[snip]
Here's the link:
https://github.com/vatral/KeySigningPartyTools
[snip]
So what does this do? It's a set of tools to make pretty lists of keys to print for the meeting, to make lists of keys to sign, and to import signed keys from email. With this, even the results of a meeting as large as FOSDEM's can be handled in just a few minutes.
Comments, suggestions and patches are very welcome!
Package it for Debian. :-) Cheers, Jeremiah
On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 09:20:20 +0100, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
Here's the link: https://github.com/vatral/KeySigningPartyTools
Comments, suggestions and patches are very welcome!
Package it for Debian. :-)
http://bugs.debian.org/737072 :) Cheers, gregor -- .''`. Homepage: http://info.comodo.priv.at/ - OpenPGP key 0xBB3A68018649AA06 : :' : Debian GNU/Linux user, admin, and developer - http://www.debian.org/ `. `' Member of VIBE!AT & SPI, fellow of the Free Software Foundation Europe `- BOFH excuse #70: nesting roaches shorted out the ether cable
On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM, gregor herrmann < gregor+fosdem@comodo.priv.at> wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 09:20:20 +0100, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
Here's the link: https://github.com/vatral/KeySigningPartyTools
Comments, suggestions and patches are very welcome!
Package it for Debian. :-)
http://bugs.debian.org/737072 :)
You are always ten steps ahead of me gregoa! =D
Cheers, Jeremiah
On 30/01/2014 01:57, vatral@vadim.ws wrote:
Greetings!
I apologize if this is not the right list, but I didn't find a more specific one. I'm developing a set of tools to make large key signing parties like the one here much easier, and I think I got far enough to make it usable at this one.
This is slightly off topic, but how many of you are present on biglumber.com ? Ludo -- http://sietch-tabr.tumblr.com/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/lhirlimann/
participants (4)
-
gregor herrmann -
Jeremiah Foster -
Ludovic Hirlimann -
vatral@vadim.ws