Like previous edition we are proud to announce companies will be able to inform you (our visitors) about job opportunities in open source or free software. The job corner will be at the end of the main hallway (H building). Of course there are some rules what is or isn't allowed *Allowed* * Open Source Related * Open Source Development * Open Source Products Integration * Flyers with info about the job * Passive Recruitment (paper) *Forbidden* * NO Non-Open Source Jobs * NO Partially Open Source * NO Job adverts on other places than the job corner * NO Active Recruitment (inviting visitors to look at your jobs) /Please respect what we do and don't break these rules/ For more information, or to fill in the form check out: http://fosdem.org/2010/node/59
At the last FOSDEM, I left a pile of paper ads in the job corner. The ads were for a sysadmin job in one of the european space centers. Back in time, I felt a little awkward with regards to the rules. Was the job open source related? Definitely, it was. Was it an open source job? Definitely, not. What I knew for sure is that the job opportunity was geeky enough to please the FOSDEM crowd. Now, the questions: Can FOSDEM allow for geeky job ads that are not exactly about "Open Source Development" but are interesting for FOSDEM visitors? How to deal with the confusing rules (Open Source Related vs. NO Non-Open Source Jobs) And a suggestion: Drop all rules and make the job corner a self-organizing place. None will post SAP and Sharepoint job ads there anyway. On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 10:26:44AM +0100, info@fosdem.org wrote:
Like previous edition we are proud to announce companies will be able to inform you (our visitors) about job opportunities in open source or free software. The job corner will be at the end of the main hallway (H building).
Of course there are some rules what is or isn't allowed
*Allowed* * Open Source Related * Open Source Development * Open Source Products Integration * Flyers with info about the job * Passive Recruitment (paper)
*Forbidden* * NO Non-Open Source Jobs * NO Partially Open Source * NO Job adverts on other places than the job corner * NO Active Recruitment (inviting visitors to look at your jobs)
/Please respect what we do and don't break these rules/ For more information, or to fill in the form check out: http://fosdem.org/2010/node/59
-- «If you can't change your organization, change your organization» © Martin Fowler
On 2010-01-24 12:07:55 (+0100), Alexander Mikhailian <mikhailian@mova.org> wrote:
At the last FOSDEM, I left a pile of paper ads in the job corner. The ads were for a sysadmin job in one of the european space centers. Back in time, I felt a little awkward with regards to the rules. Was the job open source related? Definitely, it was. Was it an open source job? Definitely, not.
What I knew for sure is that the job opportunity was geeky enough to please the FOSDEM crowd.
Now, the questions:
Can FOSDEM allow for geeky job ads that are not exactly about "Open Source Development" but are interesting for FOSDEM visitors?
How to deal with the confusing rules (Open Source Related vs. NO Non-Open Source Jobs)
And a suggestion:
Drop all rules and make the job corner a self-organizing place. None will post SAP and Sharepoint job ads there anyway.
Yes - I don't know who came up with the bright idea to overly formalize this, though I have some idea, but it's clearly over the top. I feel there should be one rule: "use your common sense". I realize that common sense is surprisingly uncommon in these cloudy days, but FOSDEM visitors are expected to have some. If in doubt, leave it out. FOSDEM staff (either collectively or individually) will keep an eye on the job corner and eject things which common sense should not have allowed in in the first place. - Philip -- Philip Paeps Please don't Cc me, I am philip@fosdem.org subscribed to the list. ... and this is only possible at a university, where we have vast amounts of slave-- student labour. -- James Whittaker, giving a seminar on "How to Break Software"
Am 24.01.2010 12:44, schrieb Philip Paeps:
Yes - I don't know who came up with the bright idea to overly formalize this, though I have some idea, but it's clearly over the top.
I feel there should be one rule: "use your common sense". I realize that common sense is surprisingly uncommon in these cloudy days, but FOSDEM visitors are expected to have some.
If in doubt, leave it out.
FOSDEM staff (either collectively or individually) will keep an eye on the job corner and eject things which common sense should not have allowed in in the first place.
- Philip
I find it strange that you do not want non open source jobs. Who has something against earning a dime ? I definitely agree with Alexandre, there is no better place to reach the geeks than FOSDEM and many of these geeks look for a job here or there and many companies need geeks ... But i can tell you that a stand alone job fair would definitely be not good. Of course no one wants suit carriers around and booths of commercial companies, but clearly saying no booths allowed, no suite carrying would definitely be a good start ... /u
Hi Ulrich, On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Ulrich Staudinger <ustaudinger@gmail.com> wrote:
I find it strange that you do not want non open source jobs. Who has something against earning a dime ?
Being payed or not is totally unrelated to the opensource-ness of the job you are doing. Did you know than around of 80% of the linux code is developed by payed people ? Promoting opensource jobs fits in the goals of FOSDEM: Promote opensource development and bring opensource people together. Cheers Christophe
On 2010-01-24 12:54:06 (+0100), Ulrich Staudinger <ustaudinger@gmail.com> wrote:
Am 24.01.2010 12:44, schrieb Philip Paeps:
Yes - I don't know who came up with the bright idea to overly formalize this, though I have some idea, but it's clearly over the top.
I feel there should be one rule: "use your common sense". I realize that common sense is surprisingly uncommon in these cloudy days, but FOSDEM visitors are expected to have some.
If in doubt, leave it out.
FOSDEM staff (either collectively or individually) will keep an eye on the job corner and eject things which common sense should not have allowed in in the first place.
I find it strange that you do not want non open source jobs. Who has something against earning a dime ?
*I* personally don't. But FOSDEM is not just me. We have a conference to organize. There is no time to get upset about people's obscure beliefs and convictions. - Philip -- Philip Paeps Please don't Cc me, I am philip@fosdem.org subscribed to the list.
participants (5)
-
Alexander Mikhailian -
Christophe Vandeplas -
info@fosdem.org -
Philip Paeps -
Ulrich Staudinger