End of the embedded devroom (regarding Call for participation)
Hi Pierre, and others, On 12/10/2018, Pierre FICHEUX <pierre.ficheux@smile.fr> wrote:
Hi all,
No embedded/automotive/iot devroom, is that real ???
Unfortunately yes. And it is all my fault. This summer has been very busy dealing with sport club stuff and my own competitions/training which caused that I missed completely the early call for participation. By the time I noticed it (early last week), the deadline had passed. Despite the long tradition and my personal connection with FOSDEM in other ways, I did not feel it would be appropriate to pull some strings to see if it could be forced in anyway. It did not feel right compared to other projects/people arranging devrooms through the regular procedure. Otoh I was already thinking to stop with it after last year (as I have been involved in different ways for 16 years), but the plan was rather to make next year the final one for me and organize some hand-over. Well clearly that will not happen now. However anybody who would like to take over has my full support and is free to contact me to ask for help. I thus apologize for any disappointment and that due to me missing the deadline completely there was no chance for anybody else to take over for 2019. BOF rooms are afaik still open and main talks also. A number of devrooms have quite overlapping content also, so there should be room there too to submit talks. Although it is unfortunate the IOT room is not there for 2019 either. So I am sorry for this abrupt end of the embedded room (for now), and offer also a big thank you for everybody who has visited or made a presentation there. Philippe
Hey everybody, A Fosdem without Embedded/automotive/IoT Devroom? That sounds a bit like a fair without candy. I would expect at least one automotive devroom one IoT devroom and another one with general embedded stuff which couldn't be categorised in other places... Does this all depend on a small registration mistake by Philippe, or there greater demi-gods at fosdem who can fix stuffs? Just my 2 eurocents ;) Jasper -- Jasper Nuyens Managing Director, Linux Belgium http://www.linuxbe.com Phone: +32 (0)2 747 47 01 Fax: +32 (0)2 747 47 10 GSM: +32 (0)478 978967 On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 11:43 AM Philippe De Swert < philippedeswert@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Pierre, and others,
On 12/10/2018, Pierre FICHEUX <pierre.ficheux@smile.fr> wrote:
Hi all,
No embedded/automotive/iot devroom, is that real ???
Unfortunately yes. And it is all my fault. This summer has been very busy dealing with sport club stuff and my own competitions/training which caused that I missed completely the early call for participation. By the time I noticed it (early last week), the deadline had passed. Despite the long tradition and my personal connection with FOSDEM in other ways, I did not feel it would be appropriate to pull some strings to see if it could be forced in anyway. It did not feel right compared to other projects/people arranging devrooms through the regular procedure.
Otoh I was already thinking to stop with it after last year (as I have been involved in different ways for 16 years), but the plan was rather to make next year the final one for me and organize some hand-over. Well clearly that will not happen now. However anybody who would like to take over has my full support and is free to contact me to ask for help.
I thus apologize for any disappointment and that due to me missing the deadline completely there was no chance for anybody else to take over for 2019. BOF rooms are afaik still open and main talks also. A number of devrooms have quite overlapping content also, so there should be room there too to submit talks. Although it is unfortunate the IOT room is not there for 2019 either.
So I am sorry for this abrupt end of the embedded room (for now), and offer also a big thank you for everybody who has visited or made a presentation there.
Philippe _______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
I do agree, very disappointing... What about "hardware enabling" room ? There is no description available right now. Could it be close to embedded? Le lun. 15 oct. 2018 à 12:00, Jasper Nuyens <jnuyens@linuxbe.com> a écrit :
Hey everybody,
A Fosdem without Embedded/automotive/IoT Devroom? That sounds a bit like a fair without candy. I would expect at least one automotive devroom one IoT devroom and another one with general embedded stuff which couldn't be categorised in other places... Does this all depend on a small registration mistake by Philippe, or there greater demi-gods at fosdem who can fix stuffs?
Just my 2 eurocents ;) Jasper -- Jasper Nuyens Managing Director, Linux Belgium http://www.linuxbe.com Phone: +32 (0)2 747 47 01 Fax: +32 (0)2 747 47 10 GSM: +32 (0)478 978967
On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 11:43 AM Philippe De Swert < philippedeswert@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Pierre, and others,
On 12/10/2018, Pierre FICHEUX <pierre.ficheux@smile.fr> wrote:
Hi all,
No embedded/automotive/iot devroom, is that real ???
Unfortunately yes. And it is all my fault. This summer has been very busy dealing with sport club stuff and my own competitions/training which caused that I missed completely the early call for participation. By the time I noticed it (early last week), the deadline had passed. Despite the long tradition and my personal connection with FOSDEM in other ways, I did not feel it would be appropriate to pull some strings to see if it could be forced in anyway. It did not feel right compared to other projects/people arranging devrooms through the regular procedure.
Otoh I was already thinking to stop with it after last year (as I have been involved in different ways for 16 years), but the plan was rather to make next year the final one for me and organize some hand-over. Well clearly that will not happen now. However anybody who would like to take over has my full support and is free to contact me to ask for help.
I thus apologize for any disappointment and that due to me missing the deadline completely there was no chance for anybody else to take over for 2019. BOF rooms are afaik still open and main talks also. A number of devrooms have quite overlapping content also, so there should be room there too to submit talks. Although it is unfortunate the IOT room is not there for 2019 either.
So I am sorry for this abrupt end of the embedded room (for now), and offer also a big thank you for everybody who has visited or made a presentation there.
Philippe _______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
-- Pierre FICHEUX -/- CTO Smile ECS, France -\- pierre.ficheux@smile.fr http://www.smile.fr https://smile.eu/fr/offres/embarque-iot I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code
Hi Pierre, On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 12:03 PM Pierre FICHEUX <pierre.ficheux@smile.fr> wrote:
What about "hardware enabling" room ? There is no description available right now.
Could it be close to embedded?
Yes, it may be a good match, depending on your topic. Last year they took a few presentations that didn't make it in the embedded room. Gr{oetje,eeting}s, Geert -- Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert@linux-m68k.org In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that. -- Linus Torvalds
« distributions » could match yocto, buildroot and build systems in general... ?? -- Pierre
Le 15 oct. 2018 à 12:12, Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org> a écrit :
Hi Pierre,
On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 12:03 PM Pierre FICHEUX <pierre.ficheux@smile.fr> wrote: What about "hardware enabling" room ? There is no description available right now.
Could it be close to embedded?
Yes, it may be a good match, depending on your topic. Last year they took a few presentations that didn't make it in the embedded room.
Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
Geert
-- Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert@linux-m68k.org
In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that. -- Linus Torvalds
On 15/10/18 12:03, Pierre FICHEUX wrote:
I do agree, very disappointing...
What about "hardware enabling" room ? There is no description available right now.
Could it be close to embedded?
I've previously suggested more emphasis on tagging the talks So a lightning talk, main track talk or a talk in another dev-room could have an "embedded" or "IoT" tag and then people could see an index of all talks related to the tag, wherever they end up. So you can have your cake and eat it too: Philippe can enjoy his retirement and the embedded dev-room lives on as a virtual dev-room. Regards, Daniel
On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 18:19, Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> wrote:
So a lightning talk, main track talk or a talk in another dev-room could have an "embedded" or "IoT" tag and then people could see an index of all talks related to the tag, wherever they end up. So you can have your cake and eat it too: Philippe can enjoy his retirement and the embedded dev-room lives on as a virtual dev-room.
That seems like a good idea. I'm not sure staff have the bandwidth (or expertise!) for tagging all talks well, so I assume you're thinking submitters self-tag? (with suggestions on previous tags) It'd be challenging to implement across the large range of topics and quantity of talks but the content exploration UIs you could build on it would certainly add value to visitors. I imagine the most practical route would be processing the penta XML or iCal and essentially tacking on the tag info, then surfacing it in a simple way. Like a list of URLs to the fosdem.org pages of the talks in each tag. We'll happily link back to it from the bottom of the programme page, warning that it's experimental. Going "3rd party" on it means you avoid the twin problems of figuring out how to do it in the actual FOSDEM systems (penta + website) and staff's limited time - I don't think any of us can implement this for this year. Plus the data you'd need to enhance with tags is already available (or will be when the talks are up for this year's edition). If I can do it quickly, I may also try to write down tags that come to mind while reviewing talks this year. Perhaps some very general topics are taggable by staff. Cheers, Emanuil
Regards,
Daniel
_______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
All good things come to and end. A major THANK YOU to Philippe for carrying this so far from one of the earliest Dev Rooms on fosdem (or was it OSDEM ;-) ? On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 11:45 AM Philippe De Swert < philippedeswert@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Pierre, and others,
On 12/10/2018, Pierre FICHEUX <pierre.ficheux@smile.fr> wrote:
Hi all,
No embedded/automotive/iot devroom, is that real ???
Unfortunately yes. And it is all my fault. This summer has been very busy dealing with sport club stuff and my own competitions/training which caused that I missed completely the early call for participation. By the time I noticed it (early last week), the deadline had passed. Despite the long tradition and my personal connection with FOSDEM in other ways, I did not feel it would be appropriate to pull some strings to see if it could be forced in anyway. It did not feel right compared to other projects/people arranging devrooms through the regular procedure.
Otoh I was already thinking to stop with it after last year (as I have been involved in different ways for 16 years), but the plan was rather to make next year the final one for me and organize some hand-over. Well clearly that will not happen now. However anybody who would like to take over has my full support and is free to contact me to ask for help.
I thus apologize for any disappointment and that due to me missing the deadline completely there was no chance for anybody else to take over for 2019. BOF rooms are afaik still open and main talks also. A number of devrooms have quite overlapping content also, so there should be room there too to submit talks. Although it is unfortunate the IOT room is not there for 2019 either.
So I am sorry for this abrupt end of the embedded room (for now), and offer also a big thank you for everybody who has visited or made a presentation there.
Philippe _______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
-- Peter Vandenabeele http://www.linkedin.com/in/petervandenabeele https://twitter.com/peter_v gsm: +32-478-27.40.69 e-mail: peter@vandenabeele.com
Of courses yes, thx a lot to Philippe. We could try to "reload" the track next year. Le lun. 15 oct. 2018 à 16:09, Peter Vandenabeele <peter@vandenabeele.com> a écrit :
All good things come to and end.
A major THANK YOU to Philippe for carrying this so far from one of the earliest Dev Rooms on fosdem (or was it OSDEM ;-) ?
On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 11:45 AM Philippe De Swert < philippedeswert@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Pierre, and others,
On 12/10/2018, Pierre FICHEUX <pierre.ficheux@smile.fr> wrote:
Hi all,
No embedded/automotive/iot devroom, is that real ???
Unfortunately yes. And it is all my fault. This summer has been very busy dealing with sport club stuff and my own competitions/training which caused that I missed completely the early call for participation. By the time I noticed it (early last week), the deadline had passed. Despite the long tradition and my personal connection with FOSDEM in other ways, I did not feel it would be appropriate to pull some strings to see if it could be forced in anyway. It did not feel right compared to other projects/people arranging devrooms through the regular procedure.
Otoh I was already thinking to stop with it after last year (as I have been involved in different ways for 16 years), but the plan was rather to make next year the final one for me and organize some hand-over. Well clearly that will not happen now. However anybody who would like to take over has my full support and is free to contact me to ask for help.
I thus apologize for any disappointment and that due to me missing the deadline completely there was no chance for anybody else to take over for 2019. BOF rooms are afaik still open and main talks also. A number of devrooms have quite overlapping content also, so there should be room there too to submit talks. Although it is unfortunate the IOT room is not there for 2019 either.
So I am sorry for this abrupt end of the embedded room (for now), and offer also a big thank you for everybody who has visited or made a presentation there.
Philippe _______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/fosdem
-- Peter Vandenabeele http://www.linkedin.com/in/petervandenabeele https://twitter.com/peter_v gsm: +32-478-27.40.69 e-mail: peter@vandenabeele.com
-- Pierre FICHEUX -/- CTO Smile ECS, France -\- pierre.ficheux@smile.fr http://www.smile.fr https://smile.eu/fr/offres/embarque-iot I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code
Some projects may fit the Minimalistic Languages Devroom (for big ideas): https://libreplanet.org/wiki/FOSDEM2019-devroom-minimalism Embedded systems and IoT projects may well fit if there is a focus on free software and minimalism. We will have Scheme lisps (Guile, Racket), Lua and Mes and hopefully others like shell, Smalltalk and Tcl. Feel free to spread the word. Pj.
participants (8)
-
Daniel Pocock -
Emanuil Tolev -
Geert Uytterhoeven -
Jasper Nuyens -
Peter Vandenabeele -
Philippe De Swert -
Pierre FICHEUX -
Pjotr Prins