Hi all, is it likely that the general, or some other, strike will be extended or repeated in a way which will affect FOSDEM? Local news tells me Bruessels is in a total deadlock and I would like to prepare if necessary. -- Richard
Op 30-01-12 10:30, Richard Hartmann schreef:
Hi all,
is it likely that the general, or some other, strike will be extended or repeated in a way which will affect FOSDEM? Local news tells me Bruessels is in a total deadlock and I would like to prepare if necessary.
No I don't think so. It is not the use over here. Services will start tomorrow as usual. People that want to strike till saturday should be sent to a psychiatric hospital, just like in a true dictatorship. There is no opposition, only psychiatric cases. There are no psychiatric cases, only opposition. Only a true Jew can say "stupid Jews". -- The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever. What's on Shortwave guide: choose an hour, go! http://shortwave.tk 700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk 300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:30:26AM +0100, Richard Hartmann wrote:
Hi all,
is it likely that the general, or some other, strike will be extended or repeated in a way which will affect FOSDEM? Local news tells me Bruessels is in a total deadlock and I would like to prepare if necessary.
Well, I didn't go through Brussels today (yet), but from what I saw during my morning commute the "general" strike is fairly "generally" ignored. Then again, that was just a 30-minute car trip over the N26, so not a highway. Also, as others have said, the likeliness of this strike being extended for more than one day, let alone a week, is very low. -- The volume of a pizza of thickness a and radius z can be described by the following formula: pi zz a
Wouter Verhelst:
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:30:26AM +0100, Richard Hartmann wrote:
is it likely that the general, or some other, strike will be extended or repeated in a way which will affect FOSDEM? Local news tells me Bruessels is in a total deadlock and I would like to prepare if necessary.
Well, I didn't go through Brussels today (yet), but from what I saw during my morning commute the "general" strike is fairly "generally" ignored. Then again, that was just a 30-minute car trip over the N26, so not a highway.
The biggest problem is the lack of public transport (metro, tram, bus) in and around Brussels and the lack of trains country-wide as even Thalys and Eurostar trains are on strike. Many motorists decided to stay at home, so traffic is light. People who ride bicycles simply don't care (note: the public bicycle service, http://www.villo.be, is probably overloaded today but still usable). The most affected are people who depend on public transport (can't drive, can't ride) and cannot afford a taxi.
Also, as others have said, the likeliness of this strike being extended for more than one day, let alone a week, is very low.
Seconded. I'll report back tomorrow and say whether the strike is extended (unlikely) or everything is back to normal. (PS. I live and work in Brussels). -- Ludovic Brenta.
participants (4)
-
Ludovic Brenta -
Marc Coevoet -
Richard Hartmann -
Wouter Verhelst