I have a couple topics I could cover of interest to the Java devroom. 1. The Java Native Runtime A refresh and recap of my talk from JVMLS, covering justification and implementation of an FFI (Java-to-native) layer used by JRuby and why we should get this into JDK9 as a supported API. 2. Beyond JVM A talk I'm preparing to do for YOW! Australia that covers Java Native Runtime, Truffle/Graal, alternative JVMs, native object layouts, multi-tenancy, and other possible futures for the platform. It will be loosely written from the perspective of JRuby, where we are exploring all these various futures for our next-gen JRuby runtime to be released in 2014. Those of you who know me should feel free to suggest modifications to these topics or different topics you would be interested in. I have many things I could talk about :-) - Charlie
Hi Charles, Both topics are very good and interesting, you could submit a proposal for both or even add something else you think it may be interesting. Cheers, Mario 2013/11/20 Charles Oliver Nutter <headius@headius.com>
I have a couple topics I could cover of interest to the Java devroom.
1. The Java Native Runtime
A refresh and recap of my talk from JVMLS, covering justification and implementation of an FFI (Java-to-native) layer used by JRuby and why we should get this into JDK9 as a supported API.
2. Beyond JVM
A talk I'm preparing to do for YOW! Australia that covers Java Native Runtime, Truffle/Graal, alternative JVMs, native object layouts, multi-tenancy, and other possible futures for the platform. It will be loosely written from the perspective of JRuby, where we are exploring all these various futures for our next-gen JRuby runtime to be released in 2014.
Those of you who know me should feel free to suggest modifications to these topics or different topics you would be interested in. I have many things I could talk about :-)
- Charlie _______________________________________________ java-devroom mailing list java-devroom@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/java-devroom
-- pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/ PGP Key ID: 80F240CF Fingerprint: BA39 9666 94EC 8B73 27FA FC7C 4086 63E3 80F2 40CF IcedRobot: www.icedrobot.org Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/ Read About us at: http://planet.classpath.org OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/ Please, support open standards: http://endsoftpatents.org/
The Java Native Runtime Write once run anywhere is both a blessing and a curse. For years, the WORA promise has ensured a consistent, compile-free experience for JVM users. Unfortunately, sometimes pure-Java libraries just can't do what developers need done. Sometimes, you just have to go full native. The Java Native Runtime is a core library and suite of support libraries for binding and calling out to native code. Without writing a line of C, you can make native calls, pass callbacks, and manage off-heap memory; every OS, library, and kernel-level feature is available to Java developers. I'll show how JNR is designed, compare code and performance with alternative approaches, and talk about why the JDK needs a standard FFI (foreign function interface) in Java 9. - Charlie On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 6:05 AM, Mario Torre <neugens.limasoftware@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Charles,
Both topics are very good and interesting, you could submit a proposal for both or even add something else you think it may be interesting.
Cheers, Mario
2013/11/20 Charles Oliver Nutter <headius@headius.com>
I have a couple topics I could cover of interest to the Java devroom.
1. The Java Native Runtime
A refresh and recap of my talk from JVMLS, covering justification and implementation of an FFI (Java-to-native) layer used by JRuby and why we should get this into JDK9 as a supported API.
2. Beyond JVM
A talk I'm preparing to do for YOW! Australia that covers Java Native Runtime, Truffle/Graal, alternative JVMs, native object layouts, multi-tenancy, and other possible futures for the platform. It will be loosely written from the perspective of JRuby, where we are exploring all these various futures for our next-gen JRuby runtime to be released in 2014.
Those of you who know me should feel free to suggest modifications to these topics or different topics you would be interested in. I have many things I could talk about :-)
- Charlie _______________________________________________ java-devroom mailing list java-devroom@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/java-devroom
-- pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/ PGP Key ID: 80F240CF Fingerprint: BA39 9666 94EC 8B73 27FA FC7C 4086 63E3 80F2 40CF
IcedRobot: www.icedrobot.org Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/ Read About us at: http://planet.classpath.org OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/
Please, support open standards: http://endsoftpatents.org/
BTW, I officially request that I not speak Saturday or Sunday morning. I paid my dues last year :-) - Charlie (mobile) On Nov 26, 2013 2:19 PM, "Charles Oliver Nutter" <headius@headius.com> wrote:
The Java Native Runtime
Write once run anywhere is both a blessing and a curse. For years, the WORA promise has ensured a consistent, compile-free experience for JVM users. Unfortunately, sometimes pure-Java libraries just can't do what developers need done. Sometimes, you just have to go full native. The Java Native Runtime is a core library and suite of support libraries for binding and calling out to native code. Without writing a line of C, you can make native calls, pass callbacks, and manage off-heap memory; every OS, library, and kernel-level feature is available to Java developers. I'll show how JNR is designed, compare code and performance with alternative approaches, and talk about why the JDK needs a standard FFI (foreign function interface) in Java 9.
- Charlie
On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 6:05 AM, Mario Torre <neugens.limasoftware@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Charles,
Both topics are very good and interesting, you could submit a proposal for both or even add something else you think it may be interesting.
Cheers, Mario
2013/11/20 Charles Oliver Nutter <headius@headius.com>
I have a couple topics I could cover of interest to the Java devroom.
1. The Java Native Runtime
A refresh and recap of my talk from JVMLS, covering justification and implementation of an FFI (Java-to-native) layer used by JRuby and why we should get this into JDK9 as a supported API.
2. Beyond JVM
A talk I'm preparing to do for YOW! Australia that covers Java Native Runtime, Truffle/Graal, alternative JVMs, native object layouts, multi-tenancy, and other possible futures for the platform. It will be loosely written from the perspective of JRuby, where we are exploring all these various futures for our next-gen JRuby runtime to be released in 2014.
Those of you who know me should feel free to suggest modifications to these topics or different topics you would be interested in. I have many things I could talk about :-)
- Charlie _______________________________________________ java-devroom mailing list java-devroom@lists.fosdem.org https://lists.fosdem.org/listinfo/java-devroom
-- pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/ PGP Key ID: 80F240CF Fingerprint: BA39 9666 94EC 8B73 27FA FC7C 4086 63E3 80F2 40CF
IcedRobot: www.icedrobot.org Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/ Read About us at: http://planet.classpath.org OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/
Please, support open standards: http://endsoftpatents.org/
participants (2)
-
Charles Oliver Nutter -
Mario Torre