Talk proposal: Optimizing Errors Away
Title: Optimizing Errors Away Abstract: The HotSpot JIT compilers use a lot of sophisticated optimization techniques to speed up your Java code. Sometimes, these advanced optimizations are so aggressive that they may eliminate required checks by mistake and therefore suppress expected program errors. In this talk, I'll briefly introduce Escape Analysis and Intrinsics, two commonly used HotSpot optimization techniques. I'll show how a combination of these two features can optimize away IndexOutOfBoundsExceptions in some corner cases where they are required by the standard and how I fixed this error in recent versions of the OpenJDK. Bio: Volker Simonis works in SAP JVM Technology group. He is an OpenJDK contributor from the very beginning and helped SAP engage in the OpenJDK project. He's the project lead of the OpenJDK PowerPC/AIX and s390x porting projects, a JDK9 reviewer and JCP Executive Committee representative for SAP. Recording me on audio/video is acceptable under a CC-BY-2.0 license. Thank you and best regards, Volker
participants (1)
-
Volker Simonis