[Microkernel-devroom] [TALK-PROPOSAL] File system policies and why we (have to) reinvent them
Hello. Sorry about such a late proposal. I wasn't quite sure whether I want to propose the talk. [Title] File system policies and why we (have to) reinvent them [Full Name] Jiří Zárevúcky [Short Bio] Jiří is a computer science student and a small contributor to the HelenOS project with interest in making software safe using any means available. He participated in GSOC'11 creating portions of HelenOS' POSIX compatibility library and porting PCC compiler to it. He works on a bachelor's thesis designing and implementing a new VFS server for the HelenOS system. [Abstract] The talk presents the problems usually encountered in contemporary operating systems due to flawed or outdated file system concepts. One of possible different approaches is then presented and demonstrated using a VFS server that I am currently developing for HelenOS as my bachelor's thesis. The talk is centered around using dynamic, per-task namespaces that are able to express access permissions for applications as well as conventional user accounts, without any explicit concept of user or task identity, and without support from endpoint file system drivers, which can then be simplified. Although not strictly included in the topic of the talk, I might also give some space to the implementation issues, as the VFS server is developed using the Go programming language, departing from the usual practice of writing essential system components in C. [Estimated duration] 30 minutes + discussion
participants (1)
-
Jiří Zárevúcky