[FOSDEM] Any interest in 3XL tshirts?

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue Jan 11 12:55:07 CET 2011

Philip Paeps <philip at fosdem.org> writes:

> On 2011-01-10 21:14:58 (+0100), Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles at elpauer.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Philip Paeps <philip at fosdem.org> wrote:
>> > We're just ordering this year's tshirts (and they will look at least as
>> > nice as last year!) and it strikes me that the geek demographic seems to
>> > be getting smaller and smaller from year to year.  The bulk of our tshirts
>> > are currently L and M where they used to be XL and XXL.
>>
>> I'm (gladly) surprised by this. Maybe geek health is improving?
>
> Geert's datapoint suggests that there may be a geographical variable.  I can
> only speak for FOSDEM and I only have statistics for the past seven years.
> Also keep in mind that not everyone donates in return for a free tshirt every
> year - we don't have a 1:1 visitor/tshirt ratio.
>
> So in many ways our data is lacking.  I would be hesitant to draw any kind of
> meaningful conclusions from them. :-)

Fashion trends could be a factor too -- I think bulky t-shirts were more
trendy 5-15 years ago and the preference today appears to favor tighter
fits.  My body size has been fairly stable for the last 15 years and
I've noticed how I've gone from asking for size L/XL t-shirts at
conferences to size M/S.  In this, I'm assuming I have perfect grasp of,
and is an apt follower, of fashion trends. :-)

There could be inflation in T-shirt sizes from the manufacturer too.

/Simon