[FOSDEM] Film on FOSDEM

Emre Sevinc emre.sevinc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 22:00:41 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Jakub Szypulka <cubibubi at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> If this gets more feedback like that, I will strongly consider coming
> over and making a film for FOSDEM.

Sounds like music to my ears ;-)

I just watched your short film on Vimeo and I want to say that it has
the quality of "profound lightness" (*).

*: "The ideas that will save the world are rooted in profound
lightness, not in empty seriousness" -- Rik Torfs, speaking @ TEDx
Brussels 2011

--
Emre Sevinç
http://be.linkedin.com/in/emresevinc

> Jake
>
> 2011/1/18 Ludovic Aelbrecht <ludo.aelbrecht at gmail.com>:
>> Hi Jake,
>>
>> Just wanted to tell you that I watched your movie and am very
>> impressed. I don't know anything about videos and shooting, but I
>> found this really impressive. Very fun to watch, made you want to be
>> there! I can only imagine the effort it takes to create this.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Ludovic
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 18:16, Jakub Szypulka <cubibubi at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> I'm Jakub Szypulka, on the one hand a Tango icon designer, thus a
>>> member of the open source community, on the other hand a videographer
>>> and composer. For the last Libre Graphics Meeting (a conference on
>>> open source graphic design), which also happened to be in Brussels
>>> last year, I shot a film which you can see here
>>> http://vimeo.com/18568225 . As you can see, it is entirely different
>>> from static tripod recordings of the talks, which serve a completely
>>> different purpose.
>>>
>>> The goal of the recordings is to provide a means for people who cannot
>>> attend the conference but would like to see the speeches or for
>>> archival purposes, whereas the film I shot let's people, attendee or
>>> not, grasp a glimpse of the atmosphere at the conference. This is
>>> especially nice to watch months after a conference.
>>>
>>> As you can also see, there are maybe 15 seconds total of actual speech
>>> scenes, and everything else is from meeting, workshops and simple
>>> human interactions.
>>>
>>> tl;dr: Would the FOSDEM be interested in a film like the one the Libre
>>> Graphics Meeting got here http://vimeo.com/18568225 ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jake

Emre Sevinc