[FOSDEM] Keysigning: venue

Jurgen Gaeremyn jurgen.gaeremyn at pandora.be
Wed Feb 1 22:31:32 CET 2012

On 01-02-12 19:20, Philip Paeps wrote:

> Excuse me, I though I was organizing this?  Any other rooms you'd like to
> hijack while you're at it?  Why not just squat a random building?  Maybe one
> that's already occupied and evict the occupants?
>
> Ferrer is occupied at the time.  That's where the CAcert people are.  We are
> not going to barge in and disturb their event.  That's not how it works.  We
> will be outside like every year.  Snow or not.  Cold or not.  Blizard or not.
>
> Latest weather reports are -4 degrees, by the way.  That's not even cold.

Okay... so last year I participated in the keysigning party.
By the time we were halfway, I started having trouble with just marking
the people I was (even though it's a very simple move). I guess I'm not
worthy to be called a hacker - I didn't subscribe this year. The primary
reason is the cold weather.

I agree the organisers should make decisions about location of events
(and kudos for a good job) - I do think though that good feedback from
the visitors is key too.

Possibly it's a strategy off course. Imagine the keysigning party would
be in a lounge, sipping a pina colada - we could have 5000 people
attending the keysiging... this would last forever. :)
This way only the die hard participate - resulting in a strong core and
an event that finishes in time.

Oh yeah... one thing I do remember (and Philip, you actually pointed
this out from the start): people arriving late caused the chain to get
broken and mixed up. Flipping pages because some "retards" (in the sense
of being "en retard" - not the mental issue) decided to just pick a
place at random... also were counter productive for this event. Possibly
a "closed door" could prevent this kind of chaos too.

Grtz,
Just my little feedback.

Jurgen.