[FOSDEM] Little ampersand (&) encoding problem in schedule

Christopher Orr chris at orr.me.uk
Thu Jan 30 14:28:42 CET 2014

On 30/01/14 14:15, Jarek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have noticed that in XML schedule at
> https://fosdem.org/2014/schedule/xml a string "&" appears in
> about 20 talk descriptions. I think it should be just "&", otherwise
> it will display ugly in mobile apps.
>
> Example (in second paragraph of the abstract):
>          <abstract><p>Entangle is an open source project that
> provides a Linux desktop application for “tethered shooting”. It uses
> the ligphoto2 library to trigger the camera shutter, preview shots via
> the camera's "live view" capability, download captured images and access
> all the live camera settings. It is useful for a variety of use cases
> including studio model shoots, macro still life, stop motion animation
> shoots, astro-photography and more.</p>

> who are photographers interested in any of the aforementioned use
> cases.</p></abstract>

That looks like HTML embedded in XML, so ampersands probably should be
escaped like that, like the <p> tag is escaped at the start of the abstract.

Are you actually seeing formatting issues in one of the mobile apps?  If
so, I guess it's up to the app authors to handle HTML-formatted text in
the abstracts, since that seems to be the intention.

Regards,
Chris