[FOSDEM] visas and invitation letters

Ivan K ipk.public.mail at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 18:00:41 CET 2015

Hi,

I come from Russia and I can share a bit of experience from the other
side, i.e. what is needed when applying for a visa.

A letter of invitation serves one or two purposes of the ones listed below:

1) Support that this person is indeed invited to a given event. A
consulate may request further proof of person's involvement in the industry.
If he or she is a, let's say, a bus driver (not taht I want to offend
any bus drivers), a consulate would probably have further questions.
If you are inviting - you should probably ask a couple of questions as
well why this person wants to go to an OSS conference.
In a way, yes, you guarantee this person has a solid reason to attend.
In light of all recent tragic events in Europe that is a bit more than
formality now.

2) Identify the means of travel. In case of FOSDEM it should be clearly
stated that the person is paying himself all travel expenses. That would
mean the person
needs to present at the consulate a hotel booking, airline or whatever
tickets booking and may even need to present a credit card or a monthly
statement from a bank to support a claim that he/she have sufficient
funds to travel. The invitation should say that the cost of attending
the conference is 0.

hth,

Ivan