[FOSDEM] visas and invitation letters

Thijs Kinkhorst thijs at kinkhorst.com
Mon Dec 21 19:07:57 CET 2015

On Mon, December 21, 2015 18:32, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> On 21/12/15 18:24, Emanuil Tolev wrote:
>> Gah, what a headache. Is there some kind of tourist visa that Schengen
>> allows? I can't believe we allow nobody to enter the Schengen area
>> without an invite by a citizen, that just seems ridiculous.
>
> The thing that is really ridiculous is that European countries ransacked
> the countries these people come from and now these people are the ones
> being fingerprinted
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Darkness

I think your sneer at present-day Belgians by relating them to events from
colonial history is completely out of line. Belgians host a great
conference for us through hard work and it's even free of charge. On their
mailing list, they can do without your references to their colonial
history which I'm sure they personally had not the slightest part in. Or
even any politial discussion, for that matter, because it's completely off
topic.

Thijs