[FOSDEM] Improve main picture on website for use in social media

Emanuil Tolev emanuil.tolev at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 15:55:37 CET 2015

At the slight risk of posting a bit too often in these threads - I know of
2 social integrations which allow pictures and one crawler-y piece of
metadata:

Facebook OpenGraph tags (just pasted from an app I contributed to, or for
some more info there seems to be a reasonable blog post
http://www.quicksprout.com/2013/03/25/social-media-meta-tags-how-to-use-open-graph-and-cards/
):

<!-- Open Graph tags for Facebook -->
indexes and provides access to quality open access, peer-reviewed
journals."/>
https://doaj.org/static/doaj/images/logo_square.jpg"/>

Twitter cards with a picture (
https://dev.twitter.com/cards/types/summary-large-image ):

parade of limousines with celebrities emerging from them seemed more suited
to a red carpet event in Hollywood or New York than than a gritty stretch
of Sussex Avenue near the former site of the James M. Baxter Terrace public
housing project here.">
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/02/19/us/19whitney-span/19whitney-span-articleLarge.jpg
">

DublinCore (DC) metadata - incidentally that seems to already be there on
pages, incl. FOSDEM homepage:

<link rel="schema.DC" href="http://purl.org/DC/elements/1.0/" />
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/be/" />

hth,