[FOSDEM] It's time for a Code of Conduct

Jens Finkhäuser jens at finkhaeuser.de
Fri Oct 30 13:08:47 CET 2015

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 12:37:09PM +0100, Sanel Zukan wrote:
> Imifos <imifos at gmail.com> writes:
> > I'm a bit shocked by the pattern here
 All resistance against the idea of a
> > Code of Conduct is formulated by mockery, disrespect and/or sarcasm.
>
> Because the idea of a Code of Conduct on a conference like FOSDEM (where
> we preach free software _like free speech_) is not only ridiculous, but
> abysmal.
  IMHO it's abysmal that no such steps have been taken already,
*especially* at a conference like FOSDEM.

  People seem to be objecting to the perceived curtailing of freedom
at a place that's got "free" in their name.

  Problem with freedom is, it's either for everyone or it isn't freedom
at all. If you make one group of people feel unfree, because they're not
safe to express themselves in the same way everyone else is, then you don't
have freedom.

  So FOSDEM *especially* should implement a code of conduct & have
staff on hand for dealing with incidents.

--
1.21 Jiggabytes of memory ought to be enough for anybody.