[FOSDEM] It's time for a Code of Conduct

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Fri Oct 30 14:33:42 CET 2015

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Emanuil Tolev <emanuil.tolev at gmail.com> wrote:

> The two issues of support and rules have been conflated unnecessarily. I'd
> still support a "Be excellent to each other. Everybody is here to have a
> good time." type of thing posted around because it's true anyway and if it
> helps people feel better or not behave badly, so much the better. My main
> interest is better support (to ALL, staff, volunteers, devrooms...) for
> handling of complaints.

Indeed. Posting smiley faces is fine. It makes some people happier and
more relaxed and less likely to escalate when they know there are
consequences.

For complaints, I think we need three things. One is a real-time call
for help and support, in case of emergencies. That is, an emergency
hotline. Simplest solution is a mobile phone that stays with someone
during the two days. One number. Perhaps backed up by an email address
that goes to a group. Frankly, I'd like to see this extended to Friday
and Saturday evening too, bad things happen in Brussels sometimes. I
had my backpack stolen a few weeks back. Terrible panic!

Second is a form and process for reporting incidents. Simplest is
email, I think.

Third is follow up and analysis; if we get incidents we need to reduce
the harm they cause to the victims, and learn from them for the
future.

This can all be further developed if/when needed.

-Pieter