[FOSDEM] more problems with visa letters

Andreas Kupfer lists at 42h.de
Mon Jan 18 19:56:39 CET 2016

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 18:11:21 +0100
Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro> wrote:

Hi,

> As far as I understand it, FOSDEM is a free event where everybody is
> welcome, no matter which country they were born in.  Giving somebody a
> personalized letter that says "Dear Bob, we invite you to FOSDEM" only
> seems like a logical extension to the statements already on the website
> inviting anybody and everybody.
>
> I understand that it is different if the letter provides a financial
> guarantee, but that was not requested in this case.

I'm organizing FrOSCon, a event similar to FOSDEM, although noticably
smaller. I have send out PDFs on our letterhead containing something like:

"we'd like to invite you to attend our conference on August 22
nd /23rd 2015. We're looking forward seeing you and are thankful for your
involvement as volunteers in our event."

This is by no means any legel obligation, but might help in the visa
application process.

Andreas, they also like fancy stamps ...
--
FrOSCon 2016
August 20th - August 21st 2016, St. Augustin, Germany