[FOSDEM] more problems with visa letters

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Sat Jan 23 09:32:39 CET 2016

Daniel Pocock schreef op ma 18-01-2016 om 18:11 [+0100]:
> >> Given that FOSDEM is a free event and that people don't normally
> >> register to attend, would the FOSDEM team consider providing a
> >> self-service web-form for guests like this who do need to "register" and
> >> obtain their invitation letters on demand?
> >
> > That would void the point of the whole "invitation letter" system, and
> > could put the legal entity behind FOSDEM at risk.

> I'm not sure what you mean by that
>
> As far as I understand it, FOSDEM is a free event where everybody is
> welcome, no matter which country they were born in.  Giving somebody a
> personalized letter that says "Dear Bob, we invite you to FOSDEM" only
> seems like a logical extension to the statements already on the website
> inviting anybody and everybody.
>
> I understand that it is different if the letter provides a financial
> guarantee, but that was not requested in this case.

I think people are confusing the legal/bureaucratic term "letter of
invitation", which *does* involve a financial guarantee (and is most
likely what embassy/consulate personnel mean when they use those
words), with the simple letter you are talking about (and which should
probably be called something different to avoid confusion).

> - he rang them and they said they might consider other evidence, such as
> an entry ticket or having his name on the web site, given that he
> already provided an invitation letter from another organization

If that would be really useful, maybe next year (I don't know if they
still have time for that right now) the FOSDEM organisation can set up
a "voluntary registration system" that publishes the name & location
(and possibly project involvement?) of everybody who "registers" in a
list on the site?

--
Jan Claeys