[FOSDEM] Internet of Things devroom CFP

Maxime Vincent maxime.vince at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 17:32:04 CEST 2016

Greetings everyone,

Hereby I am announcing the Internet of Things devroom CFP.

The CFP can be found here as well:
https://github.com/maximevince/IoT-devroom-fosdem

CFP:

FOSDEM Internet of Things devroom

In February 2017, we're organizing the fourth FOSDEM devroom for the
Internet of Things. We're now calling for proposals. Do you have an
interesting project you'd like to present to more than 5,000 free and
open source developers?

Introduction

FOSDEM (Free and Open source Software Developers' European Meeting) is
a non-commercial, volunteer organized European event centered around
free and open source software development. It is aimed at developers
and anyone interested in the free and open source software movement.
It aims to enable developers to meet and to promote the awareness and
use of free and open source software.

For general news and discussion on FOSDEM, please sign-up to the
fosdem at lists.fosdem.org mailing list at:

FOSDEM is held annually during the first weekend of February at the
Université Libre de Bruxelles Solbosch campus, situated in the
southeast of Brussels, Belgium and easily reachable by public
transport from Brussels-Central railway station. The FOSDEM devrooms
are whole-day tracks focused on one topic, aimed at developers. For
the the third time, we're organizing an Internet of Things devroom at
FOSDEM. As Helen Duce said, "We have a clear vision: to create a world
where every object — from jumbo jets to sewing needles — is linked to
the Internet."

Thousands of keen developers come to FOSDEM. There's no better event
in Europe for reaching out to free and open source developers.

Date

The IoT devroom will be on Saturday 4th February, 2017.

How to Submit a Proposal

If you have an IoT project you'd like to present, please submit it via
FOSDEM's Pentabarf web tool. You will create an account (if you don't
have one from a previous year), and select the "Internet of Things
devroom" as the track. We'll discuss and select talks here:
https://github.com/maximevince/IoT-devroom-fosdem. If you want to join
in the review process, please just comment over there. We’ll then make
a selection from all the submitted proposals.

We're looking for talks that cover one or more of the following topics:

* FOSS solutions for machine-to-machine communication on small embedded devices.
* Distributed FOSS applications in any field of interest for
autonomous/self-controlled devices, (e.g. domotics, automotive, etc.
* Presentation of embedded devices with one or more possibilities to
join a network.
* Infrastructure related (TCP/IP, mesh networking, message queuing,
cross-layer solutions).
* Real-life problematics and their solution (Cost of maintenance,
power management, reachability).
* Interoperability solutions for heterogeneous applications, devices,
protocols, media.
* All presentations must be fully FOSS, and related to software development.

The devroom will last one day, approx from 10.30 until 18:00. Talks
will last 25 minutes each, starting on the hour, with a 5-minute break
between talks. There will be no break for lunch.

Speakers should respect the following talk format: a five to ten
minute demo (live demo preferred over pre-recorded), followed by five
to ten minutes of explanation, and then five minutes for Q&A with the
audience. Make sure you stick to your 25 minute time slot. All talks
are recorded and streamed live, and by submitting a talk you agree to
this.

We want to make this devroom as interesting and diverse as possible,
which means we will favor talks that contrast each other.

The deadline for submissions is December 1st. If you submit late, your
talk may still be considered but will have to be exceptionally
interesting. The program will be finalized by December 30th.