[FOSDEM] FOSDEM 2018: SDR Track CfP

Martin Braun martin at gnuradio.org
Sat Oct 7 07:00:01 CEST 2017

Dear friends and fans of software defined radio and free/open source
radio topics in general,

next year's FOSDEM (the free and open source developer's meeting in
Brussels, Europe) will, once again, feature a  track on Software Defined
Radio and other radio-related topics.
Therefore, we invite developers and users from the free software radio
community to join us for this track and present your talks or demos.

Software Radio has become an important tool to allow anyone access the
EM spectrum. Using free software radio libraries and applications and
cheap  hardware, anyone can now start hacking on wireless
communications, remote sensing, radar or other applications. At FOSDEM,
we hope to network all these projects and improve collaboration, bring
new ideas forward and get more people involved.

The track's web site resides at:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/FOSDEM

Here, we will publish updates and announcements. The final schedule will
be available through Pentabarf and the official FOSDEM website.

** Submit your presentations

To suggest a talk, go to https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM18
and follow the instructions (you need an account, but can use your
account from last year if you have one). You need to create an 'Event';
make sure it's in the Software Defined Radio track! Lengths aren't
fixed, but give a realistic estimate and please don't exceed 30 minutes
unless you have something special planned (in that case, contact one of
us). Also, don't forget to include time for Q&A.
We will typically go for 30-minute slots -- shorter talks, unless
they're really short, usually tend to screw up the schedule too much.

You aren't limited to slide presentations, of course. Be creative.
However, FOSDEM is an open source conference, therefore we ask you to
stay clear of marketing presentations. We like nitty-gritty
technical stuff.

Here's a list of topics that will most likely be included:
- SDR Frameworks + Tools
- Wireless security
- Radio hardware
- Ham radio related topics
- Telecommunications
- Random fun wireless hacks

We will reserve time for interactiveness, it won't all be talks.

** Important Dates

FOSDEM is February 3rd and 4th, 2018.

* December 8th 2017: Submission Deadline
* December 18th 2017: Announcement of final schedule
* February 3rd 2018: SDR Track (Saturday)

These dates are not set in stone. However, the least years we were
always full to the brim with presentations, so if you want to present,
please make sure to submit your abstracts soon!

** Steering Committee

The track committee consists of:
* Phil "Crofton" Balister (OpenEmbedded / OpenSDR)
* Martin "mbr0wn" Braun (GNU Radio)
* Sylvain "tnt" Munaut (OsmoCom)

Hope to hear from you soon! And please forward this announcement.

Martin