[FOSDEM] A devroom for minimalistic programming languages with big ideas (RFC)

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public445 at thebird.nl
Sun Sep 9 13:44:51 CEST 2018

Dear all,

We would like to propose a devroom for 'Minimalistic or small
programming languages with big ideas'. We think these are under
represented at FOSDEM and minimalism still very much matters in open
source software and computing in general. E.g.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

We are posting here to see if anyone else is interested in
participating. Currently we have commitments from GNU Mes which is
building a FOSS bootstrap from source using a 200-byte binary using a
minimalistic C compiler, GNU Guile and Lua: all with big ideas. We
would like to add smalltalk and perhaps a few others.

Computer languages targeting LLVM, the JVM and JS are perhaps covered
by other devrooms. If not, we could look at those too and have them
find a place with us. Our current thinking, however, is standalone
programming languages.

Any feedback on this before we put together our proposal?

Pjotr & Manolis