[FOSDEM] End of the embedded devroom (regarding Call for participation)

Philippe De Swert philippedeswert at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 11:43:18 CEST 2018

Hi Pierre, and others,

On 12/10/2018, Pierre FICHEUX <pierre.ficheux at smile.fr> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> No embedded/automotive/iot devroom, is that real ???

Unfortunately yes. And it is all my fault. This summer has been very
busy dealing with sport club stuff and my own competitions/training
which caused that I missed completely the early call for
participation. By the time I noticed it (early last week), the
deadline had passed. Despite the long tradition and my personal
connection with FOSDEM in other ways, I did not feel it would be
appropriate to pull some strings to see if it could be forced in
anyway. It did not feel right compared to other projects/people
arranging devrooms through the regular procedure.

Otoh I was already thinking to stop with it after last year (as I have
been involved in different ways for 16 years), but the plan was rather
to make next year the final one for me and organize some hand-over.
Well clearly that will not happen now. However anybody who would like
to take over has my full support and is free to contact me to ask for
help.

I thus apologize for any disappointment and that due to me missing the
deadline completely there was no chance for anybody else to take over
for 2019. BOF rooms are afaik still open and main talks also. A number
of devrooms have quite overlapping content also, so there should be
room there too to submit talks. Although it is unfortunate the IOT
room is not there for 2019 either.

So I am sorry for this abrupt end of the embedded room (for now), and
offer also a big thank you for everybody who has visited or made a
presentation there.

Philippe