[FOSDEM] [CFP] Monitoring & Observability devroom @ FOSDEM 2020
richih.mailinglist at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 22:34:51 CET 2019
--- The same CfP can be found at
in case you prefer nice formatting --
The Monitoring & Observability developer room is devoted to all things
monitoring and enabling humans to grok computer, system, and other
Presentation topics could include:
* Anything regarding metrics/logs/distributed tracing/profiling
* Application performance management
* Monitoring tools and technologies
* Using IT best practices in other fields. Maybe you’re managing wind
farms? A brewery?
And general directions could be:
* Beginner-friendly content
* Cultural aspects of building good monitoring
* Success and failures
Talks will have two durations:
* 25 min followed by 5 min Q&A
* 5min lighting talk
Timeline & Selection
* Important dates:
* 2019-10-05: This CfP opens
* 2019-11-26: Submission deadline for talk proposals
* 2019-12-15: Announcement of the final schedule
* 2020-02-02: Monitoring and Observability devroom (Sunday, 09:00-17:00)
Talk proposals will be reviewed by a program committee (alphabetical order):
* Carl Bergquist <Grafana Labs>
* Brian Brazil <Robust Perception>
* Ben Kochie <GitLab>
* Richard “RichiH” Hartmann <SpaceNet>
* Fabian Stäber <Instana>
Submit your proposal
* Use the FOSDEM’s pentabarf to submit your proposal at
* If necessary, create a Pentabarf account and activate it. Please
reuse your account from previous years if you have already created one
in the past.
* In the "Person" section, provide First name, Last name (in the
"General" tab), Email (in the "Contact" tab) and Bio ("Abstract" field
in the "Description" tab).
* Submit a proposal by clicking on "Create event".
* Important! Select the "Monitoring and Observability" track (on the
* Provide the title of your talk ("Event title" in the "General" tab).
* Provide a description of the subject of the talk and the intended
audience (in the "Abstract" field of the "Description" tab)
* Provide a rough outline of the talk or goals of the session (a short
list of bullet points covering topics that will be discussed) in the
"Full description" field in the "Description" tab
* Provide an expected length of your talk in the "Duration" field.
Either 25 or 5 min.
Please note that as this is a community conference with a very tight
budget, we cannot cover any travel or lodging costs.
Recording of talks
The FOSDEM organizers plan to have live streaming and recording fully
working, both for remote/later viewing of talks, and so that people
can watch streams in the hallways when rooms are full. This requires
speakers to consent to being recorded and streamed. By submitting an
event, you give consent for you, your talk, and your content to be
recorded and streamed. You also agree to share your slides in PDF and
optionally other formats. The recordings will be published under the
same license as all FOSDEM content (CC-BY).
Code of Conduct
We follow FOSDEM’s CoC: https://fosdem.org/2020/practical/conduct/. We
also request respect towards the speakers, especially quiet entry/exit
by attendees so that Q&A can run in parallel. If question is
repurposed for commentary, we will shut it down.
In short: Be excellent to each other
More information about the FOSDEM