[FOSDEM] [CFP] Game Development devroom @ FOSDEM 2020

Rémi Verschelde remi at godotengine.org
Wed Oct 9 18:12:40 CET 2019

[[ Note: this CFP is also posted on
https://godotengine.org/article/cfp-game-development-room-fosdem-2020 ]]

We are happy to announce that we will be organizing a Game Development
devroom at FOSDEM 2020! The event will take place on 1st and 2nd of
February at the usual venue in Brussels, Belgium. The devroom will
last for a full day (most likely Saturday, but not set in stone yet).

## About the Game Development devroom

Open source is often neglected in the game industry—and the reverse is
also true: game development is often neglected in open source. We want
to present that it is possible to combine the two. In particular,
Godot being an open source game engine is a proof of that.

We want to present open source tools to make games. That not only
include engines but also asset-making tools. There are many
industry-grade open source tools which are growing in use in the
gamedev world (Godot, Phaser, FNA, libGDX, etc.). Software as Blender,
Krita, GIMP, Ardour, LMMS, etc. can be applied to any kind of game.

More importantly, we want to present games made with those tools. We
want to hear the benefits, the insights, the hurdles, the challenges,
the sleepless nights and everything. Real examples are always a great
inspiration for other game developers, even (or maybe especially) when
things don't go perfectly. Talking about changing tools is welcome too
(either from proprietary to open source, or between FOSS solutions),
as we can hear a perspective about the differences between them.

Also, we want to hear about open source games. What are the issues
with those and the benefits, and whether it can be a viable business
model.

## Call for participation

This is the point where we ask you to participate. Even though we from
Godot are organizing the room, we want to hear from people using other
engines and tools as well. There's no discrimination, we want to hear
experiences from everybody (even if are you moving out of Godot for
some reason).

We ask you to submit the proposals through FOSDEM's pentabarf system
at https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM20. If you already have
an account, please use the same as they show speakers' participation
across the editions. We'll be using that system to organize the
schedule. Please take your time to fill up the fields, especially the
descriptions, as that will be shown on FOSDEM website and booklets.

The topic can be anything related to open source together with game
development, be it tools or games.

The time slot for presentations is 25 min including questions (if you
think your topic would fit better in a longer time slot, feel free to
contact us to discuss it – see email below).
We also plan a 1-hour session in the middle of the day to have several
lightning talks of 10 min each, so you can apply for this too if you
prefer this format.

Please submit the proposal at the latest on December 1st. FOSDEM has a
hard limit on December 14th, but we want some leeway to properly
arrange the schedule. We can't guarantee participation after our
deadline.

If you have any doubts or want to volunteer to help us organizing
(manning the camera, helping speaker transitions, moderating audience
questions, etc.) you can let us know by sending a message to contact
at godotengine dot org.

## Audience

We naturally want people to watch the presentations. Entrance to
FOSDEM is free and doesn't require registration. If you want to meet
fellow game developers in the open source world, this is the
opportunity.

Note that barring any technical difficulties, the talks should be
recorded and made available under a Creative Commons license on the
FOSDEM website shortly after the event.

See you all in Brussels!

Game Development devroom organizers:
George Marques
Julian Murgia
Rémi Verschelde

PS. Sorry if this lands twice on the ML, my previous post was sent
before confirming my registration, so it went to the moderation queue.