[FOSDEM] Open Research Tools & Technologies devroom call for papers

Paul GIRARD paul.girard at sciencespo.fr
Tue Oct 8 12:10:06 CET 2019

There was a mistake in the deadline date.
Here is a fixed version.

# Open Research Tools & Technologies devroom

Saturday 1st of February 2020
from 10:30 to 19:00
ULB, Brussels, Belgium

# CALL FOR PAPER

web version : https://research-fosdem.github.io/

We invite developers or users of tools and technologies used in a research
context to contribute to the FOSDEM 2020 conference. We understand research
as the general process to produce knowledge such as scientific research,
investigative journalism, NGOs fieldwork, etc.

We seek talks about:
- New software releases of research tools or technologies.
- Feedback on open technology stacks used in research contexts (e.g.,
scientific research, journalistic inquiry, archive creation or publication,
etc.) which collect, analyse, document, visualize, and/or share data.
- Tool design and implementation for specific research contexts, e.g. how
to hold an algorithm accountable to social scientists, how to foster better
replicability and interoperability thanks to FLOSS, how to cope with biases
of a chart for a data journalist, etc.
- Issues and opportunities about bridging tech culture with research
environments (research labs, libraries, newsrooms, museums, etc.).

Talks will last around 20-40 minutes + 5-10 minutes Q&A, have to be in
English, will be video recorded by the amazing FOSDEM staff and will be
available on the FOSDEM video recordings archive.

# HOW TO SUBMIT

Deadline: Sunday 1st December 2019 23:59 CET

Submissions must include:
- Abstract
- Session type (preferably developer room, or lightning talk)
- Session length (20-40 min, 10 min for a lightning talk)
- Expected prior knowledge / intended audience
- Speaker bio
- Links to code / slides / material for the talk (optional)
- Links to previous talks by the speaker

Submission process is managed in the Pentabarf system used by the FOSDEM
conference.

=> Apply for a talk: https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM20

/!\ By submitting a proposal you agree to being recorded and to have your
talk made available.

When submitting your talk in Pentabarf, make sure to select the ‘Open
Research Technologies Devroom’ as the ‘Track’. If you already have a
Pentabarf account from a previous FOSDEM event, please reuse it. Create an
account if, and only if, you don’t have one from a previous year.

If you have any issues with Pentabarf, do not despair: contact us at
research-devroom[at]lists.fosdem.org

# Our motivation

The Open Research tools & Technologies devroom addresses FLOSS developers
in a broad community concerned with research production and curation:
scientists, engineers, journalists, archivists, curators, activists. The
tools and technologies targeted are typically creating, handling or sharing
knowledge artifacts: data, academic papers, books, collections, web
contents, algorithms, artworks. This devroom provides a place and time to
discuss the issues related to the creation and usage of open research
technologies, with the ambition to foster discussions between designers,
developers and users, bridging multiple knowledge-based communities
together, and with the broader FLOSS community.

The Open Research Tools & Technologies devroom aims to:
- Allow knowledge-based tool developers to publicize their effort and
become aware of other FLOSS projects.
- Facilitate the pooling of coding efforts on (often poorly funded) tools.
Create a network where otherwise isolated developers, research engineers
can share common FLOSS concerns.
- Provide social recognition for people who work in fields where designing
and developing tools is less considered than usual outcomes (e.g. not
publishing papers in research, not writing investigation in data
journalism, etc).

# Other devrooms might interest you

Even if the FOSDEM is not science-specific, you might be interested by many
other talks. Some developer rooms have a scope that resonates with
research, for instance:
- HPC, Big Data, and Data Science
- Graph systems and algorithms
- Open source design
- Community

Of course you will also be able to find high quality talks in your own area
of expertise in the 50+ devrooms (Python, Java, Rust, PostgreSQL, etc.).
Finally, you may appreciate the prestigious keynotes in the main
amphitheater (to be announced).

# Organizers
Paul Girard, Sciences Po médialab, @paulgirard
Mathieu Jacomy, Aalborg University TANT Lab, @jacomyma
Achilleas Koutsou, G-Node, @achilleas-k
Michael Sonntag, G-Node, @mpsonntag

Paul and Mathieu were colleagues at Sciences Po médialab. Achilleas and
Michael are colleagues at the German Neuroinformatics Node. We met because
we submitted two very related “Open Science” proposals for FOSDEM 2020!

Contact us: research-devroom[at]lists.fosdem.org

--
Paul Girard
directeur technique médialab

27 rue Saint-Guillaume 75337 Paris cedex 07 France
paul.girard at sciencespo.fr <prenom.nom at sciencespo.fr>
medialab.sciencespo.fr