[FOSDEM] CfP for Open Source Design Devroom

Amit Nambiar amit.lzkpa at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 23:22:44 CET 2019

Hi,
Please find the Cfp for the Open Source Devroom for FOSDEM 2020 below
(between '---').
It's formatted with markdown. Please let me know if you have any questions
or concerns.

---
[FOSDEM](https://fosdem.org) is the Free and Open source Software
Developers’ European Meeting, a free and non-commercial two-day weekend
event that offers all open source contributors a place to meet, share
ideas, learn and collaborate.

After 5 successful years we will host another design devroom at FOSDEM 2020!

The Open Source Design devroom will take place on __Sunday, February 2nd__,
at *Université Libre Brussels*.

The exact room will be confirmed in the coming months.

This will be a full day of talks about design work on free, libre and open
source projects.

We invite you to send in your submissions about design work on free, libre
and open source projects.

We mean ‘design’ in the broadest sense: user research, interface and
interaction design, information architecture, visual design, typography,
illustration, iconography, spatial, accessibility (and anything you can
think of) – all in the context of open source projects, which we believe
introduces unique challenges.

Designers and developers working with designers (or on a design-minded
project) are welcome to submit proposals.

Possible topics include:

- FOSS design tools
- Unique challenges that open source brings
- Design techniques and deliverables
- Design/engineering collaboration approaches
- User engagement and design research activities
- Project case studies
In the past we’ve had talks about getting designers involved in open
source, accessibility in open source, application design and development,
beyond logos, architectural font digitisation and design and lots more.

If you’re interested in seeing all previous talks, have a look at the
schedule, and videos for previous years (links below).

Recording and licensing of talks
The talks in the Open Source Design devroom will be audio and video
recorded, and possibly streamed live too.

By submitting a proposal you consent to be recorded and agree to license
the content of your talk under a Creative Commons (CC-BY) license.

## What and how to submit
Submission format: 20-minute presentations

Submission deadline: 1st December 2019

## How to submit
All submissions are made in the Pentabarf event planning tool 4 at [
https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM20/](https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM20/)

When submitting your talk in Pentabarf, when asked for the ‘Track’, you
must select the ‘Open source design devroom’.

If you already have a Pentabarf account from a previous year, *please reuse
it*: create an account only if you don’t have one from a previous year.

If you have any issues with Pentabarf, do not despair: contact [
amit.lzkpa at gmail.com](amit.lzkpa at gmail.com)

## Open Source Design
The Open Source Design Devroom is co-ordinated by the Open Source Design
community.
Check out the links below to learn more about us
- [Website](https://opensourcedesign.net/)
- [Discourse Forum](http://opensourcedesign.net/)
- [Github](https://github.com/opensourcedesign)
- [FOSDEM 2019](
https://archive.fosdem.org/2019/schedule/track/open_source_design/)
- [FOSDEM 2018](
https://archive.fosdem.org/2018/schedule/track/open_source_design/)

Examples of past talks
- [Component-based Design System and Development](
https://archive.fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/component_based_design_system/
)
- [UX at Tor](https://archive.fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/ux_at_tor/)
- [Breaking Down Language Barriers](
https://archive.fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/localizing/)
- [The real cost of not doing user research](
https://archive.fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/cost_of_not_doing_user_research/
)
---
It would be great if you can send an acknowledgement.
Thank you.
Amit Nambiar