[FOSDEM] FOSDEM 2020 - Quantum computing devroom CfP

Tomas Babej tomas at tbabej.com
Tue Oct 29 09:15:50 CET 2019

After very successful inaugural devroom last year, we are happy to announce a
call for participation in a developer room dedicated to Quantum Computing for
FOSDEM 2020!

The developer room will take place at the FOSDEM conferrence in Brussels on
Saturday, February 1st 2020.

Organization of the room is stewarded by Quantum Open Source Foundation
(https://qosf.org), whose mission is to ensure this new emerging computing
paradigm is accessible using free and open source technology stack.

Submit proposals either using the FOSDEM submission system:

    https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM20
    or using email address: fosdem20 at qosf.org

Submission deadline is Dec 1st, 23.59 UTC.

To see schedule of our last FOSDEM devroom event, please see:
https://qosf.org/fosdem

=== Why to participate ===

Quantum computing is a new emerging field that coming out of the lab and
finding its applications in the real world. The space of the open source
software for quantum computing is blooming with this trend, with researchers
and hardware providers alike investing in creating software infrastructure
for this new computing paradigm.

With that in mind, the purpose of this devroom is twofold:

- to flatten down the learning curve and break perceived barriers that prevent
  developers from entering the field of quantum software development
- to ensure that the field is dominated by high-quality, community driven FOSS
  open source software, standards and protocols

Many of the players have open sourced libraries to build quantum computing
circuits and interact with their platforms, both actual hardware and simulators.
However, not enough attention is given to building a wider quantum computing
community and current trajectory leads to multiple silos, projects that are
driven by commercial interest without liberal community driven governance
structure.

FOSDEM is one of the largest gatherings of open source community in the world,
which happens yearly at the ULB Capus Solbosch, Brussels, Belgium. As such, it
is an ideal place not only to showcase and discuss new ideas and developments
in the space of quantum computing, but also help break down the barriers in
adopting quantum computing by software developers.

=== Submission topics ===

We welcome submissions that are devoted to the following topics:
* Introduction of open source projects in quantum computing
* Future directions and roadmaps of existing projects
* Use-cases and experiences of using existing open source software projects for
  quantum computing research and quantum software development
* Identification of possible gaps in the space of open source for quantum computing
* Discussions about the state of the open source community and possible ways of
  improving it

and other topics that relate to quantum computing software.

=== Talk formats and instructions ===

We encourage both talks and workshop formats. We suggest following durations,
including questions:
* 20 min - lighting talks
* 45-60 min - talks
* 90-120 min - workshops

Note that the talks at FOSDEM are captured (and streamed) under the CC-BY
licence. Speakers are hence required to give permission to being recorded.

    or using email address: fosdem20 at qosf.org

Submission deadline is Dec 1st, 23.59 UTC.

Pentabarf instructions: To submit your talk, click on "Create Event" and then
select the "Quantum computing" as the "Track". If you have already spoken at
FOSDEM previously, please re-use your account.

On behalf of the organizational team,
Tomas Babej
QOSF | qosf.org | qosf.org/fosdem