[FOSDEM] Meetup for mail server admins on Saturday @ 15:30

Sam Tuke mail at samtuke.com
Tue Feb 11 21:02:57 CET 2020

Thanks to everybody who participated in our meetups, and to FOSDEM for
providing the BoF room! In the end there were two sit-downs, and they
proved productive for we 25 or so participants.

There was demand for a permanent communication channel on our subject
of mail server administration and deliverability, and so, here is a
shiny new Discourse instance for this purpose:

https://discuss.lightmeter.io <https://discuss.lightmeter.io/>

Discourse (the software running the forum at the above address) is
featureful and convenient, with easy searching, bookmarking,
forwarding, editing, and more for posts and threads.

Here are categories for:

- Email deliverability
  (<https://discuss.lightmeter.io/c/deliverability-questions/7>)

- Mailserver tech
  (<https://discuss.lightmeter.io/c/mailserver-tech-discussion/8>)

- Other email-related news
  (<https://discuss.lightmeter.io/c/email-news/6>)

For those of you who prefer mailinglists: discourse can also be used
this way, with support for email-based submission of new topics and
replies to them. I'm still configuring that however (incompatible
versions of OpenSSL, boo!), so for now email notifications work, soon
to be followed by submit-by-mail too.

Some initial topics that may be of interest:

- List of spam checker tools
  (<https://discuss.lightmeter.io/t/spam-checker-tools/19>)

- External tools for testing mailserver setup

(<https://discuss.lightmeter.io/t/external-tools-for-testing-mailserver-setup/18>)

- How will Google’s AMP affect deliverability?

(<https://discuss.lightmeter.io/t/how-will-googles-amp-affect-deliverability/27>)

- Interesting mail clients
  (<https://discuss.lightmeter.io/t/interesting-mail-clients/22>)

What questions would you like to ask the group? Login with GitHub,
Facebook, or plain old email, and post away. Message me directly if you
have any problems.

Sam.

PS Sorry for the delay; I went through three (VPS) servers and wrestled
with a variety of copies of Mailman 3 before deciding that Discourse
was a better option.

PS Consider forwarding this other mail admins who'd find it useful