[FOSDEM] Meetup for mail server admins on Saturday @ 15:30

Sam Tuke mail at samtuke.com
Wed Feb 12 10:37:11 CET 2020

Hi Luke, I'm not sure we've met, thanks for joining the discussion :) Happy to
hear that these stalwart tools have been serving you well.

> if i may be... ah... how can i put this... email sysadmins "giving
> up" on setting up a mailing list and setting up a *forum* instead,
> has me concerned.

The challenge described was solely with Mailman 3, otherwise known as the
combination of: Mailman Core, Postorius, MailmanClient, HyperKitty, and
HyperKitty Mailman plugin. Specifically: Docker images with hard-coded IP
addresses, Podman storage layer incompatibilities, and a ruby script that died
leaving few clues as to its murderer. No doubt with more time I would have resolved
these, but those of us who met have been waiting long enough to continue those
discussions.

In any case Discourse was a better option from the start in my view, for the
features which were mentioned - it has many tools for fostering and managing
communities which other systems lack, and has extensive support for
mailing-list-like interaction (submit topics by email, reply by email, forward
all topics by email).

I've also run mailman 2 for over a decade, and it's a reliable ally that's easy
to configure. However that's not the best tool for this job. We are fortunate to
have a variety of Open Source options in this space, and can each choose the
tool which suits us best.

Kind regards,

Sam.