[FOSDEM] Disenfranchised by Google

J. R. Haigh JRHaigh+ML.FOSDEM at fsfe.org
Mon Jan 11 18:56:24 UTC 2021

Hi Jasper, FOSDEM, all,

At 2021-01-11Mon12:48:58+01, Jasper Nuyens sent:
> I agree with your criticism towards Google. But the same can be said about Microsoft. Even about Red Hat. And about so many other corporate sponsors.

Indeed there are others. I chose to focus on Google as they are having greater impact on my daily life than all of the others combined – through their strong grip on email, Web, and Android.

> I, personally, disagree with your conclusion. And think it's a good thing that FOSDEM is funded as much as possible by nearly any organisation who wishes to contribute.

Maybe I do to. I'm just looking desperately for a way to influence Google back! I turned to FOSDEM because they are a bridge between the Free Software community and Google. By questioning their endorsement, it would eventually get a message back to Google that it's not okay to keep impacting people (especially the same people), and sending them around in circles when they try to complain – dizzyingly frustrating!!
	I tried to be as sensitive as possible by calling for /review/ of the sponsorship relationship. Particularly, are there circumstances under which FOSDEM can hold a sponsor to account if they harm the community? Can they withdraw at any time? What conditions does Google impose?
	Hmm, I made the assumption that the current relationship is unconditional. Perhaps it's not. Perhaps there are conditions already, but those of Google. FOSDEM, please can you publicly-disclose the terms of your sponsorship agreement with Google?

> Google, like most sponsors, look at the FOSDEM visitors as potential employees,

I'm well aware of that from the numerous job offers that I've seen at FOSDEM.

> and that's ok. People are wise enough to decide if they want to work for an organisation with mixed messages towards our philosophy.

Providing that they know. And if FOSDEM is to represent the Free Software community in any way then they have a responsibility to allow people to challenge misbehaviours of their sponsors.

> […]

Having just noticed Pjotr's request for partial censorship, I'm going to leave it here. Thank you to all who listened!

Best regards,
James.
--
Wealth doesn't bring happiness, but poverty brings sadness.
https://wiki.FSFE.org/Fellows/JRHaigh