[FOSDEM] How was the final list of devrooms built?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Mon Dec 6 18:02:51 UTC 2021

On 06/12/2021 12:03, Alexander Todorov wrote:
> On 12/6/21 11:41 AM, Konstantin Osipov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Year over year I am watching the procedure for compiling the final
>> list of devrooms and each year I am surprised.
>>
>> I know each year there are a lot of devroom submissions and a lot
>> of competition. But how is the final list compiled? It would be
>> nice if this process is more open with the community.
>>
>> I can see there is a devroom for Ada and Dart but no devroom for
>> Rust or C++. There is a devroom for MySQL and MariaDB and no
>> devroom for *all* NoSQL systems combined. Are there no free nosql
>> databases?  Were there no devroom submissions for Rust or other
>> emerging programming languages?
>
> +1
>
> I am missing the CI/CD devroom and Testing and Automation devroom which
> have been part of FOSDEM for the last fgew years and I'd like to know
> why they weren't accepted, especially given that FOSDEM 2022 will be
> online.
>
> Disclaimer: I am a co-host of the T&A devroom.

I've been a co-organizer of the telephony and RTC dev-rooms for many years.

One of the FOSDEM organizers alerted me to the fact that people who
accept money from Google are sending emails asking FOSDEM to discredit
me.  Here are the words:

"By the way, several people keep contacting us about the use of 'Debian
Developer' in your biography which they want us to change - but it's
your text, not ours, and they don't say that they actually asked you
first!

But if it's true that you're not officially one under their preferred
definition, would you update it?  (The minimal change might be to
replace the capital Ds with lower case ds.)"

All my Debian work is fully compliant with the Debian Free Software
Guidelines (DFSG), why should I change my profile?  These emails are a
cruel insult.

This year, I notice that emails sent to the FOSDEM mailing list do not
appear immediately, they go through some sort of moderation/censorship
process now.  Some of the CFP emails this year only appear more than 24
hours after being sent.

Google sacked Timnit Gebru from their ethics department because she
wanted to write the truth.  A few weeks ago I sent an email here about
Academic Liberty.  Immediately after that email, the bad elements of
Debian, the Google apologists started publishing personal defamation
against me in multiple languages, in English, French and Spanish and
maybe others.

I do not want to add to the conspiracy theories.  I feel that having
transparent processes can help to trivialize the conspiracies.  Ideally,
the FOSDEM organizers would explain their processes and criteria before
the application period begins.

Regards,

Daniel

--