[FOSDEM] Call for Participation

Eric Gazoni eric at adimian.com
Mon Nov 21 09:02:09 UTC 2022

[Call for Participation]

We are happy to announce that we will be running a Python devroom again at
FOSDEM 2023.
This year's edition will mark the return to the in-person format, and take
place on the 4th and 5th of February, with the Python devroom being
available on Sunday 5th.
If you have not heard about FOSDEM before or are looking for more
information, you can visit the official website at www.fosdem.org.
As per usual, we are looking for multiple Pythonistas to help us shape the
devroom schedule. We are now open to receiving your proposals! With over
8000 participants, FOSDEM is the perfect place to share your story and meet
fellow Python enthusiasts.
You can check the Python-FOSDEM website (https://www.python-fosdem.org) or
the Belgium Python mailing list (
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/belgium) to stay updated.
Good luck to everyone applying. We’re looking forward to meeting you all in
person at FOSDEM 2023!

[About FOSDEM]

 - Official website: https://fosdem.org/2023/
 - FOSDEM Code of Conduct: https://fosdem.org/2023/practical/conduct/

FOSDEM is a free and non-commercial event organized by the community for
the community. The goal is to provide free and open source software
developers and communities a place to meet to:
 - get in touch with other developers and projects;
 - be informed about the latest developments in the free software world;
 - be informed about the latest developments in the open source world;
 - attend interesting talks and presentations on various topics by project
leaders and committers;
 - to promote the development and benefits of free software and open source
solutions.
Participation and attendance is totally free, though the organizers
gratefully accept donations and sponsorship.

[Essential Information]

 - The devroom will be held on 5th of February 2023
 - Submission link: https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM23
 - Talk format: between 15min and 30min of presentation, please do not plan
for Q&A (we will do the padding once the schedule is completed)
If you have submitted for previous FOSDEM editions, remember to use your
already existing account on Pentabarf. Make sure to fill out 'person'
details.  We need a name, photo and biography.
 - The reference time will be Brussels local lime (CET).
 - Talks must be given in person, so be sure you can travel to Brussels

[Submission Guidelines]

If you would like to give a talk, present a project or show off some coding
skills, we are looking forward to receiving your application.
 - Submission platform:  https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM23
 - Submission deadline: 10th of December 2022
 - Announcement of selected talks: 15th of December 2022
The sooner we can start planning a draft schedule the better, so please
submit your application ASAP.

Be sure to properly fill your Pentabarf profile (Person) with:
 - your name
 - a short speaker bio
 - your contact information (for the organizers)

Then submit your talk (or event):
 - title and subtitle of the presentation
 - presentation description
 - other relevant details (other publications, video of previous talks, ...)

Keep in mind presentations must be related to Python. All presentations
will be streamed live under the FOSDEM content licence. Captured footage
will later be shared online using the FOSDEM archives. By submitting you
also agree to these terms.

[List of desirable topics]

We'd like to have a devroom as diverse as possible, so we are looking to
offer a mixture of presentations, tutorials, demos, live coding, etc. Aside
from the usual talks about free and open source, we will also gladly
welcome talks about:
 - How to get started with library/framework X
 - Best practices for new Python developers
 - Return on experience with library/framework X
 - Local Python communities & diversity
 - How Python is being used for education
 - Hardware / Infrastructure
 - Security tools and securing Python
 - Data science, AI, Machine Learning
 - Video Games (or game-related tooling) written in Python
 - MicroPython, CircuitPython, embedded software

[Pentabarf Notes]

If you ever find yourself in doubt:
 - "talks" are named "events" in Pentabarf
 - Track must be "Python devroom"
 - Duration must be between "00:15:00" and "00:30:00"
 - Event type must be "Lecture"
 - Abstract is the text that goes in the FOSDEM booklet

[Volunteers]

We will also call for volunteers to help us run the event and help us with
the devroom operation. You can get in touch with the organizers on the
Python-Belgium mailing list (
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/belgium).

[Organizers]

You can reach out directly to the organizers if you have a specific request
or question:
 - Eric Gazoni (eric at adimian.com)
 - Jens Roelant (jens at adimian.com)

[Useful Links]

 - https://www.python-fosdem.org/
 - https://fosdem.org/2023/
 - http://python.be/
 - https://www.python.org/psf/
If you want to keep informed for this edition, you can follow our twitter
account @PythonFOSDEM.