[freejava] Free Java update and key upload reminder (TODAY)

Tom Marble tmarble at info9.net
Sun Jan 30 17:20:38 CET 2011

All:

FOSDEM and the Free Java devroom activities are coming soon!

We have a fantastic set of speakers lined up and I'm
sure everyone will learn a lot and have a great time!

Check out the wiki for some practical information including
a shared Google map of FOSDEM sites and information
on how take the train from BRU airport to Gare Centrale [0].
Typically a lot of the socializing (including the Beer Event)
happens around the Grand Place and the conference itself
is at ULB.  There are buses and trams to get from
Grand Place to ULB [1].

Please note that today, SUNDAY, is the last day
to submit your key for the FOSDEM key signing party [2][3].
We originally wanted to leave the time open for
everyone to attend the KSP, but we had too many
awesome talk proposals.  Even if you can't attend
the KSP it's still helpful to submit your key because
then everyone's key will be on the same printout.
Of course it's probably, as always, a good idea
to bring slips of paper (or business cards) with your
key fingerprint for informal keysigning.  In fact it's
been suggested that we do an informal Free Java keysigning.
I have some links for details on keysigning [4].

A sort of "quick and dirty" command line summary
is provided below [5].

I will arrive on Thursday -- e-mail me if you want
to sync up.  I look forward to seeing everyone soon!

--Tom

[0] http://wiki.debian.org/Java/DevJam/2011/Fosdem
[1] http://fosdem.org/2011/transportation
[2] http://fosdem.org/2011/keysigning
[3] http://lists.fosdem.org/pipermail/fosdem/2011-January/001207.html
[4] http://lists.fosdem.org/pipermail/fosdem/2010-December/001119.html
[5] Setting up GnuPG for strong signatures

# create or update the file ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf
# link caff configuration file to gpg.conf
$ mkdir -p ~/.gnupg
$ mv -f ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf.old
$ cat << EOF > ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf
> personal-digest-preferences SHA512
> cert-digest-algo SHA512
> default-preference-list SHA512 SHA384 SHA256 SHA224 AES256 AES192 AES CAST5 ZLIB BZIP2 ZIP Uncompressed
> EOF
$ mkdir -p ~/.caff/gnupghome
$ mv -f ~/.caff/gnupghome/gpg.conf ~/.caff/gnupghome/gpg.conf.old
$ ln -s ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf ~/.caff/gnupghome/gpg.conf
# create new, strong key
http://keyring.debian.org/creating-key.html
# sign old key (if applicable) (in this example 0xfedcba98 is new, 0x76543210 is old)
$ gpg --local-user 0xfedcba98 --trust-model=always --edit 0x76543210 sign
$ gpg --local-user 0x76543210 --trust-model=always --edit 0xfedcba98 sign
# upload to public keyservers
$ gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --send-keys 0xfedcba98 0x76543210
# upload new key to the FOSDEM keyring
$ gpg --keyserver ksp.fosdem.org --send-key 0xfedcba98
# save and print fingerprint (e.g. multiple copies per page)
$ gpg --fingerprint 0xfedcba98 > 0xfedcba98.fingerprint.txt