Proposed talk for FOSDEM 2014 Java Dev Room

Andrew Dinn adinn at redhat.com
Tue Nov 5 17:30:58 CET 2013

Hi,

Andrew Haley and I are proposing the talk described below for the Java
Developer Room this year.

regards,

Andrew Dinn
-----------
Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat UK Ltd
Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Matt Parson (USA), Charlie Peters
(USA), Paul Hickey (Ireland)

Title: OpenJDK on AArch64 Update

Abstract:

Red Hat's project of porting OpenJDK to run on ARM's new 64-bit
architecture began about 18 months ago. Our rapid progress implementing
the interpreted runtime was demonstrated at last year's FOSDEM. Since
then we have completed our implementation of both the client and server
JIT compilers and the project is now approaching its finishing stages.
All of which implies that the first high quality, high performance Java
runtime available to AArch64 developers will be Free Software.

This talk will describe the work we have performed over the last year,
explaining how we went about implementing the two JIT compilers. In
particular, we will give details of how we have tuned the server
compiler to generate code that has been optimized to make use of the
AArch64 instruction set. We will demonstrate the latter by running some
 example programs, displaying the generated AArch64 machine code and
comparing it with the code generated by the x86 JIT compiler.

Recording:

Recording of both Andrews on audio and/or video is acceptable under a
CC-By-SA-3.0-USA license.

Bios:

Andrew Haley is a member of the OpenJDK Governing Board and a Consulting
Software Engineer and Java Team Technical Lead at Red Hat.

Andrew Dinn is a Principal Software Engineer and Java Team member at Red
Hat. He also leads the Byteman Project.

Blogs:

http://aphredhat.wordpress.com/