FOSDEM 2014 - Talk proposal: "The OpenJDK PowerPC/AIX port endgame"

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 13:27:47 CET 2013

Hi,

together with my colleague Goetz Lindenmaier I want to propose the
following talk.

Regards,
Volker

Title: The OpenJDK PowerPC/AIX port endgame

Abstract:

The PowerPC/AIX porting project[1,2] currently driven by IBM and SAP
is a good example how the OpenJDK fosters the cooperation of different
players in the Java ecosystem in an open environment.

At last years FOSDEM, we presented our JCK-certified JDK7 port. This
year, we will showcase our JDK8 port. But more importantly, we will
describe the lengthy process of integrating the port into the main
OpenJDK repository, thus making it a first class citizen in the OpenJDK
environment. This process includes the creation of a JDK Enhancement
Proposals[3], the agreement on a detailed Integration Plan between all
parties[4], the thorough review of all changes by OpenJDK reviewers, the
integration into the main development repositories and finally the
downport into a released version.

Of course we will also highlight the general improvements in the
OpenJDK code base which are the result of our port. Finally, we will
be happy to answer any kind of technical questions regarding a JDK port
to a new CPU and OS platform.

Speakers: Goetz Lindenmaier and Volker Simonis, SAP AG

Goetz Lindenmaier and Volker Simonis work for SAP in the SAP JVM JIT
Compiler Technology group. Volker is an OpenJDK contributor from the
very beginning and recently helped SAP and the SAP JVM team to engage
in the OpenJDK project. Goetz is one of the authors of SAP's IA64 port
and he crafted various optimizations in HotSpot's C2 JIT compiler.
They both drive the PowerPC/AIX port from the SAP side as project lead
and main contributors.

Recording us on audio and/or video is acceptable under a
CC-By-SA-3.0-USA license.

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/ppc-aix-port
[2] https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/PPCAIXPort
[3] http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/175