DevRoom Proposal: Jitsi Videobridge in Cryptoland: the adventures of a Java WebRTC video router on the road to supporting 1000s of video streams

Lyubomir Marinov lyubomir.marinov at jitsi.org
Mon Dec 1 15:15:44 CET 2014

Title: Jitsi Videobridge in Cryptoland: the adventures of a Java
WebRTC video router on the road to supporting 1000s of video streams

Abstract:

In Jitsi Videobridge (https://jitsi.org/Projects/JitsiVideobridge), a
WebRTC video conferencing router, encryption and packet signing were
among the most expensive components in terms of CPU intensity. We
therefore set out on a journey to optimize them as much as possible.

We would like to share this journey with the Java FLOSS community.

We are going to present a comparison we have made on the execution
times of popular open source implementations of AES and SHA-1 in
search of the best performer. Our reference implementations are
provided by the pure-Java Bouncy Castle cryptography APIs. Our
contenders are an assortment of widely-used Java and cross-platform C
code: the SunJCE security provider optimized by Java Runtime
Environment (JRE) 8, the Mozilla Network Security Services (NSS)
libraries employed through the SunPKCS11 security provider and the
OpenSSL Crypto library accessed with the help of the Java Native
Interface (JNI).

We're going to pit software against hardware in our examination how we
can leverage the Advanced Encryption Standard New Instructions
(AES-NI).

We're going to look at the performance compromises of transferring
bytes between Java and C. Can we beat Java's intrinsics? Will Java
New/Non-blocking I/O (NIO) be better?

Recording me on audio and/or video: The default is OK.

Brief Bio:

Lyubomir Marinov is the leading media developer at Jitsi
(https://jitsi.org). He has been working on things like general
performance and RTP-specific optimizations, audio/video encoding,
rendering, mixing and processing for the past 8 years. Recently,
Lyubomir is concentrating on solving issues related to video routing,
speaker detection and the architecture of Jitsi Videobridge.

Microblog URL: https://twitter.com/jitsinews