Shenandoah - Project overview

Christine Flood chf at redhat.com
Mon Dec 1 15:51:20 CET 2014

Title: Shenandoah - Project overview

Abstract:

Garbage Collection pauses make it hard for Java applications
to meet quality of service guarantees.  No matter how fast
your application processes requests, a 30 second GC pause is
going to ruin any guarantees you might want to make.

Shenandoah is a new GC algorithm designed to address this issue.
We take a simple approach that allows us to do more work while
your Java program is running so we can substantially reduce the
time the JVM is paused.  Our goal is to be able to garbage collect
100gb+ heaps in under 10ms.

This talk will focus on the current status of the project,
the goals we've met so far, and what we are hoping to achieve
in the coming year.  We might even share some performance numbers.

Speakers: Christine H. Flood, Roman Kennke, Red Hat Inc.

Christine H, Flood was part of the design team that brought you G1 and the
parallel collector.  She has 20+ years experience in programming language
design and implementation.  She's thrilled to be working for Red Hat on
free and open software.

Roman Kennke is a long time free Java (and Software) activist,
originally involved in GNU Classpath since 2004, later participated in
opening OpenJDK and since then is regular contributor to several parts
of OpenJDK (AWT/Swing, general class library, lately Hotspot). After
finishing Diploma in 2007 he was employed by aicas, who are building a
hard realtime capable Java VM. During 2009 and 2010 worked for Sun
Microsystems on Java Webstart. After a short period as contractor for JP
Morgan, he's now a Prinipal Software Engineer at Red Hat, where he used
to work on Thermostat, the Zero and Shark port of OpenJDK, and currently
on the Shenandoah GC.