Proposal: Optimizing Above the JVM in JRuby 9000

Charles Oliver Nutter headius at headius.com
Fri Nov 13 21:07:31 CET 2015

Title: Optimizing Above the JVM in JRuby 9000

Abstract:

JRuby has for years routed around the JVM, to maximize compatibility
with standard Ruby. We've implemented byte[]-based String and Regexp,
native POSIX support, and our own mixed-mode interpreting/jitting
runtime atop JVM bytecode.

With JRuby 9000, we're taking this even further. JRuby 9000 introduces
a new IR-based optimizing compiler, with inlining, specialization, and
other tricks applied to both interpreted and bytecode-compiled code.
We've also gone fully native for much of IO and Process management.
This talk will show the state of this work and how it affects JRuby
and the wider JVM world.

Charles Oliver Nutter (@headius, blog.headius.com)
Thomas Enebo (@tom_enebo)
JRuby (jruby.org)