Talk proposal: Three ideas for the G1 GC (and how to get involved)

Erik Helin erik.helin at oracle.com
Thu Dec 1 22:09:28 CET 2016

Title:

Three ideas for the G1 GC (and how to get involved)

Abstract:

The G1 garbage collector is currently proposed to become the default
garbage collector in JDK 9. Recently three new ideas for G1 were
described on the hotspot-gc-dev at openjdk.java.net mailing list:
- parallel full GC
- throughput write barriers
- rebuilding remembered sets during concurrent mark

This talk will present these three new ideas so that people who are
interested in getting into G1 development know where to start, see what
the existing code looks like today and highlight how one can contribute
(it is not only about code!).

The presentation can be made longer if people want to dive deeper into
the details (but it can also fit in a 25 minute slot).

Bio:

Erik Helin is a developer at Oracle working in the Java group as a
member of the JVM Garbage Collection team. For the past four years Erik
has been working on the trace events framework, diagnostic tools for the
Metaspace and for the last two years on the G1 garbage collector. Erik
has worked on most parts of the G1 garbage collector and lately with a
special focus on the policies. Erik is a reviewer in the OpenJDK JDK 9
project and a member of the hotspot OpenJDK group.

I'm not yet sure if I recording the talk is ok, I'm still awaiting approval.

Thanks,
Erik