Talk Proposal: The Z Garbage Collector - An Introduction

Per Liden per.liden at oracle.com
Fri Dec 1 23:12:56 CET 2017

Title:
The Z Garbage Collector - An Introduction

Abstract:
The Z Garbage Collector, also known as ZGC, is a new garbage collector
optimized for low latency and very large heaps. We've developed ZGC
internally at Oracle so far, but we're now open-sourcing it so as to
broaden the base of both contributors and users. It was recently
accepted as an official project under OpenJDK where future development
will be happening.

This talk will give an overview of how ZGC works, how it scales to
multi-terabyte heaps and how it maintains very low GC pause times. We'll
present the goals, current status and what to expect going forward.
We'll also give a quick primer on how to get started using ZGC on your
workloads.

Time:
25 min works, but 45 min would give us a chance to dive a bit deeper.

Speakers:
Per Liden and Stefan Karlsson

Bios:
Per Liden is a member of the HotSpot Garbage Collection team at Oracle,
and has been working on JRockit and HotSpot projects for the past 8
years. Per is an OpenJDK Reviewer and the lead for the ZGC project.

Stefan Karlsson is a member of the HotSpot Garbage Collection team and
has been working on JRockit and HotSpot projects for 13 years. Stefan is
an OpenJDK Reviewer and has been working on large projects like the
Permgen Removal, G1 Class Unloading, and for the last two years, ZGC.