Free Java DevRoom talk proposal: Marlin, an OpenJDK Success Story: Vector Graphics on Steroids for Java 2D and JavaFX

Laurent Bourgès bourges.laurent at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 21:29:15 CET 2017

Title
     Marlin, an OpenJDK Success Story: Vector Graphics on Steroids for Java
2D and JavaFX

Abstract
The Marlin renderer is an open source pure-Java java2D anti-aliasing
renderer, forked from the OpenJDK's Pisces renderer to provide a faster
alternative with very good scalability to OpenJDK renderers. Since dec 2015
I contributed back the Marlin renderer to OpenJDK 9 by the successfull JEP
265. In 2016 I ported it to JavaFX in the MarlinFX project to replace the
shape rasterizer in OpenJFX 9, integrated in Dec. 2016. In 2017 I improved
Marlin even more: new double precision pipeline & efficient path clipping,
coming to OpenJDK 10.
In this session, you will learn what's new in the Marlin / MarlinFX github
projects, how to use Marlin in Java 8 / 9 / 10 (including some tuning),
which releases are integrated in OpenJDK / JFX 9 & 10, and get performance
results on both 2D & JavaFX renderers. As the single contributor to the
Marlin project, I am looking for other people to help me testing &
implementing new features.

Recording me on audio and/or video

YES acceptable under a CC-BY-2.0 license (DEFAULT)

Brief Bio
Laurent Bourgès is a software engineer at the OSUG data center (CNRS) in
the French Alps, working with scientists (astronomers).
I learned computer programming at 5 years old (basic on zx-81) then Borland
C++ on my pc computers and discovered a passion for 3D and raytracing
software. After studying Physics at master level, I worked 9 years in paris
in several software service companies on distributed architecture based on
J2EE server clusters. I moved into Grenoble in 2009 to join the R&D
software team working on observation tools for astronomers and got an
academic permanent position in 2014. I have now 15 years of experience in
Java programming mostly on concurrency, multi-threading & performance
(optimisation, benchmarks).
On my spare time, I am the author of the Marlin renderer & MarlinFX
rasterizer, derived from the OpenJDK Pisces (shape) renderer. Since 2015 I
am contributing to OpenJDK 9 to integrate the Marlin renderer and since
2016, to OpenJFX 9. In Oct 2017 I presented my FOSS work on the Marlin
renderer at JavaOne.

Microblog URL
@laurent_bourges

Blog URL