FOSDEM 2018, Free Java Dev Room, Talk Proposal: Packet Capturing with the JVM and Clojure - Yes, we can!

Ruediger Gad r.c.g at gmx.de
Tue Nov 28 21:15:25 CET 2017

Hi,

below, I send my talk proposal for the FOSDEM 2018 Free Java Dev Room:

-----------------

Title:
Packet Capturing with the JVM and Clojure - Yes, we can!

Abstract:
In this talk, it will be shown that packet capturing with the JVM and
Clojure works fast, how it is made fast, and that Clojure and the JVM
offer amazing capabilities for processing stream and batch data.
Following a bottom-up approach, the covered topics include:

- integration of low-level packet capturing with the JVM via JNI,
- acceleration of packet capturing with the JVM up to the magnitude of
10 GBit/s speed,
- a Domain Specific Language (DSL) for easing the extraction of
information from raw binary data,
- a self-adaptive mechanism for automatically adjusting data processing
at run-time,
- and using the Clojure-based DSL for improving the import of packet
capturing data in Eclipse Trace Compass.

The talk will provide an overview of the covered topics.
More details were published in various peer-reviewed conferences and
workshops, the speakers PhD thesis, and as Open Source Software (See,
e.g.: https://ruedigergad.com/publications/).

While this talk focuses on packet capturing, the presented topics can
also be applied to other application domains.

Recording me on audio and/or video:
    acceptable under a CC-BY-2.0 license (DEFAULT)

Brief Bio:
Ruediger Gad is a computer science and Open Source Software (OSS)
enthusiast who was and still is involved in various OSS projects.
He works as Project Manager R&D at Terma GmbH, Darmstadt, Germany in the
field of space ground systems.
He received a PhD degree (sobresaliente cum laude - best grade with
honors) in computer science from the University of Cádiz, Spain, and
regularly publishes his evaluation and research prototypes as OSS.
He spoke at various academic conferences and workshops in scope of the
technical program and in keynotes.
His research interests include Event-Driven Architecture (EDA),
Message-oriented Middleware (MoM), Complex Event Processing (CEP),
computer networks, and software development and engineering.

Microblog URL:
https://twitter.com/ruedigergad

Blog URL:
https://ruedigergad.com/

Additional Notes:
The talk is an adjusted and somewhat extended version of a talk already
held at :clojureD 2017.
     Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmkfifQMwT0
     Slides:
https://ruedigergad.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/presentation_ruediger_gad_clojured_2017.pdf
The adjustments primarily concern the reduction of Clojure
implementation details and the addition of the Clojure-based DSL packet
capture data import for Eclipse Trace Compass.

If you have questions, comments, etc. please let me know.

Thank you and cheers,

Ruediger