Talk Proposal

Irwin D'Souza dsouzai at ca.ibm.com
Wed Nov 28 21:28:57 CET 2018

Hi,

Please find below a submission for a talk.

Title:
Dynamic AOT: A peek under the hood

Abstract:
There is now a growing interest in Ahead Of Time (AOT) compilation
technologies in the Java ecosystem. AOT compilation is the natural
counterpart of Just In Time (JIT) Compilation because of its potential to
enable faster application startup and rampup, while minimizing the CPU and
memory costs that come with a JIT compiler. However, Ahead of Time
compilation for a dynamic language such as Java offers a suite of complex
problems that make it very difficult to AOT compile Java methods as well as
a JIT compiler can.

In this talk, we'll focus on the "dynamic AOT", or cached JIT code,
technology that is used transparently by the open source Eclipse OpenJ9
JVM. We'll present how dynamic AOT works and cover some of the pros and
cons of this approach to Ahead of Time compilation.

Recording me on audio and/or video:
Acceptable under a CC-BY-2.0 license (DEFAULT)

Brief Bio:
I'm a JIT Compiler Developer for Eclipse OpenJ9 / Eclipse OMR working in an
enterprise context for the last five years.

Regards,
Irwin D'Souza