[Microkernel-devroom] [TALK-PROPOSAL] Dive into HelenOS Device Drivers

Jiri Svoboda jirik.svoboda at seznam.cz
Sat Dec 31 19:00:08 CET 2011

Hi folks,

here is my proposal for a talk about the specifics of implementing device drivers (device driver framework) in a microkernel operating system, specifically in HelenOS.

Cheers
-Jiri

[Title]
Dive into HelenOS Device Drivers

[Full name]
Jiří Svoboda

[Short bio]
Jiří is a long-time HelenOS developer who designed or contributed to many areas of the system, including the debugging framework, device driver framework, block layer, networking, the OpenMoko port, as well as functionality related to interfacing with the user.

[Estimated duration]
45 min

[Abstract]
Implementing support for device drivers (device driver frameworks) in a microkernel-based/multiserver operating system presents some unique challenges. In this talk we will go through all the important aspects of device drivers in HelenOS, at the hurdles and the ways they can be overcome. We will discuss topics such as:

- Programmed I/O and DMA in user space
- Level interrupt handling and interrupt clearing, tasklets
- Cooperation of user-space drivers and kernel (debugging) drivers
- DDF and Device Manager - automatic driver start, device enumeration and hot (un)plug
- Exposing driver services, Location Service - drivers are not created more equal than others, a.k.a Death of the Pseudo Device