[Microkernel-devroom] FOSDEM 2013 - Microkernels / Component-based OSes devroom

Martin Decky martin at decky.cz
Tue Dec 4 16:53:51 CET 2012

Hello Stefan,

with respect to your other email reminding us of the CFP deadline, there
are still some talk proposals in the cooking from the HelenOS team. I
hope we will post them in a few days.

> I have to admit, to me this appears to be a bit contradictory to the
> idea of FOSDEM. I would like to focus on finding common problems,
> discussing different approaches to target them, learning from the
> experiences of other projects, identifying synergies.

I am sorry that I haven't set up the wiki for the taxonomy yet. The
reason is that I really spent some time thinking about the intention and
goal of the taxonomy.

I still like the general idea of the taxonomy, but it is probably also
necessary to suppress any promotional and competitive aspect of the
comparison. FOSDEM should be really about cooperation and finding
commonalities than competition and finding differences.

I don't want to offend Joanna, but I believe that one of her reasons for
proposing such a comparison is to promote Qubes OS as a mature and
ready-to-use operating system -- in comparison to the other "toy and
research microkernel projects" it sometimes gets confused with :-) The
sarcasm is obviously mine, but I cannot help myself seeing this subtext
in Joanna's original proposal.

Please give me a few more days to think about the criteria again and set
up the wiki. Thanks, Stefan, for sharing Genode's data, I'll put it in
there as well.

> My personal proposal is: having a "demo" slot, where all projects can
> have a laptop demonstration, or poster. We ourselves, or guests of the
> devroom can travel from table to table discussing key aspects of the
> projects. In my perception, it is a lot easier for most people to have
> a conversation, or ask their questions this way than having a podium,
> which always has a more formal atmosphere, whether it is intended or not.

The panel discussion has the advantage that you can compare the answers
to the same questions from all the participating teams. But again, if
you really try to avoid any hidden competitive messages, the demo slot
is a viable alternative.

Anyway, I hereby officially submit a proposal for a panel discussion
slot. But feel free to eliminate it in favour of other proposals in the
final decision.

  * title of your talk (will be printed in the FOSDEM booklet)

Panel discussion

  * your full name (will be printed in the FOSDEM booklet)

[The moderator of the panel discussion should be established yet.]

  * a short abstract

A panel discussion with representatives of all the OS projects
participating in the devroom. The general rule is that the moderator or
someone from the audience asks a relevant question and each
representative answers it. Discussing the taxonomy of the participating
projects (as proposed by Joanna Rutkowska) might be also a part of the
time slot.

  * duration of your talk (please, no longer than 45 minutes)

45 minutes

M.D.