[Microkernel-devroom] [Talk-Proposal] Rathaxes - A DSL for device driver development, why and how?

Martin Decky martin at decky.cz
Sat Dec 8 00:16:54 CET 2012

Hello folks,

> We also discussed a little bit with Martin Děcký last year and it
> seemed that we raised some interest, so here we are!

Yes, I can confirm that. I was and I am still interested in the topic.
Even if microkernel systems can certainly provide more isolation and
protection to/against the device drivers than monolithic systems, any
means of making the drivers correct-by-design and simplifying their
actual development is helpful.

Louis, I just suggest that you focus your talk a little bit more on the
(potential) benefits of a device driver DSL specifically for the
microkernel systems. Frankly, stressing in your abstract that a
prominent case study of yours is based on Linux is just a bit
provocative in the context of a microkernel devroom :)

On the other hand, Christian, if we are not in a serious time pressure
already, we might give the topic a chance (and a slot). I can even vouch
for them in the sense that the HelenOS team is indeed interested in
adopting a technology like this in the future -- as we strongly believe
that implementing compatibility wrappers for Linux/*BSD/whatever device
drivers is not the best thing to do.

However, we do not chair this year's devroom, thus of course the final
call is yours.

M.D.