[Microkernel-devroom] Talk proposal: Multiserver challenge: Living in a city full of walls

Jiri Svoboda jirik.svoboda at seznam.cz
Sat Dec 15 22:28:40 CET 2012

Hi,

here is my talk proposal:

* title of your talk (will be printed in the FOSDEM booklet)
Multiserver challenge: Living in a city full of walls

* your full name (will be printed in the FOSDEM booklet)
Jiří Svoboda

* a short abstract
Designing a multiserver OS presents some unique challenges as compared to
monolithic design (or it makes existing challenges more relevant.) We will
give an overview of some problems which we encountered or expect to
encounter during HelenOS development, which should be nevertheless relevant
to any multiserver design. These include:

 - performance and parallelism bottlenecks

 - IPC-related problems - flow control, error and abort handling

 - memory arbitration

 - accounting (who is using my CPU/memory?)

 - debugging (connect the dots)

This is not intended to go into any deep discussion, just to give the
listener an idea what the pitfalls of multiserver design are.

* duration of your talk (please, no longer than 45 minutes)
15-20min