[Microkernel-devroom] Talk proposal: Introduction to the NOVA kernel API

Julian Stecklina jsteckli at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Mon Jan 2 15:49:35 CET 2012

Hello,

I know I missed the deadline, but I would like to propose a 30min talk
about the NOVA kernel API.

Title: Introduction to the NOVA kernel API
Name: Julian Stecklina

Abstract: The NOVA virtualization architecture is comprised of a
microhypervisor and a capability-based multiserver userland with a
specific focus on enabling secure and efficient virtualization using x86
hardware virtualization extensions (VT-x, VT-d, SR-IOV). It does so by
moving almost all of the actual "virtualization" into a per-VM userspace
component that is not in the Trusted Computing Base of other virtual
machines. This talk will give an overview of NOVA's unique execution
model and API with a strong focus on how this enables efficient
execution of a VMM. Specifically, this talk will cover how tasks and
threads are realized in NOVA, how communication between threads works,
how VM exits are handled in NOVA and how this extends to SMP machines.

Short bio:
Julian Stecklina finished his Diplom (Master's thesis) in 2009 at the
Operating Systems Group of TU Dresden, in which he implemented a
Firewire-based remote kernel debugger for NOVA that can be quickly
retargeted to other kernels. During this time he became acquainted with
the two original NOVA authors (one was his thesis advisor) and
afterwards started to work on improving network I/O virtualization in
NOVA as a PhD student.